How Does Object Distance Affect Image Position in Refraction Problems?

• Thread starter sghaussi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Refraction
In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the position of an image formed by a long glass rod with a convex hemispherical surface. The refractive index of the glass is 1.60 and the object is placed at infinity, making the light rays parallel and horizontal upon reaching the glass rod. Snell's Law and equations for spherical lenses/surfaces can be used to solve this problem.
sghaussi
another refraction question??

The left end of a long glass rod 6.00 cm in diameter has a convex hemispherical surface 3.00 cm in radius. The refractive index of the glass is 1.60.

Determine the position of the image if an object is placed in air on the axis of the rod at the infinitely far distance to the left of the vertex of the curved end.

what does that mean? so is the distance of the object at infinity? I drew a picture for this problem, however the wording is confusing Maybe you might be able to tell me what they mean about the distance of the actual object?? Thankss!

Physics news on Phys.org
sghaussi said:
what does that mean? so is the distance of the object at infinity?

Putting the object at infinity just makes the light rays parallel and horizontal upon reaching the glass rod. Can you figure out what happens to a horizontal ray after striking the hemispherical glass surface at various positions?

Which equations are available to you? There are standard equations for spherical lenses/surfaces, but you can also derive the result from Snell's Law.

Ok, I just saw your other post. You can use the same equation I gave you there to do this problem.

Related to How Does Object Distance Affect Image Position in Refraction Problems?

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This bending is caused by a change in the speed of light as it travels from one medium to another.

2. How does refraction affect the appearance of objects?

Refraction can cause objects to appear distorted or shifted when viewed through different mediums. For example, a pencil placed in a glass of water may appear bent due to the refraction of light through the water.

3. What is the difference between refraction and reflection?

Refraction involves the bending of light as it passes through a medium, while reflection involves the bouncing of light off of a surface. Both are important phenomena in understanding how light travels and interacts with objects.

4. What factors can affect the amount of refraction?

The amount of refraction can be affected by the angle at which the light enters the medium, the difference in density between the two mediums, and the wavelength of the light.

5. How is refraction used in everyday life?

Refraction is used in a variety of everyday applications, such as eyeglasses, cameras, and telescopes. It is also important in understanding the behavior of light in nature, such as the formation of rainbows and mirages.

Back