How does one draw Lewis structures on the computer?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Latex for drawing Lewis structures on the computer. The person asking the question has had success using a specific code on a website called Textify, but not on the current platform. They are unsure how to create 2D structures and are wondering how others format their structures, suggesting using Windows Paint as an option.
Banaticus

Homework Statement

Is there some sort of Latex that allows one to draw Lewis structures on the computer?

The Attempt at a Solution

The following code works in Textify: http://www.texify.com/links.php but not here, apparently. Anyway, I can make 1D Lewis structures (every element in a line). I have no idea how I'd go about making 2D structures.

\text{Mg:O\limits_{.\,.}^{.\,.}:}

\text{[:{Cl}\limits_{.\,.}^{.\,.}]^+[:O\limits_{.\,.}^{.\,.}:]^{2-}[:{Cl}\limits_{.\,.}^{.\,.}:]^+} \\

\text{[:O\limits_{.\,.}^{.\,.}-N\limits_{}^{.}=O\limits_{}^{.\,.}:]^+} \\

\text{[:S\limits_{}^{.\,.}-C=N\limits_{}^{.\,.}:]^-}

How would one go about drawing, say BF4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So, when the rest of you are making Lewis structures for homework, a lab report or a lab writeup, how do the rest of you format them? Should I break out Windows Paint?

I would recommend using a specialized software or program designed for creating Lewis structures, such as ChemDraw or ChemSketch. These programs have tools and templates specifically for drawing Lewis structures and can create both 1D and 2D structures. Additionally, there are various online tools and apps available for drawing Lewis structures, such as ChemSpider or MolView. It is important to note that the accuracy and quality of the Lewis structure will depend on the input of correct information, such as the correct number of valence electrons for each atom.

Related to How does one draw Lewis structures on the computer?

1. How do I access a program for drawing Lewis structures on the computer?

There are several software programs available for drawing Lewis structures on the computer, such as ChemDraw, ChemSketch, and MarvinSketch. Some of these programs may require a subscription or purchase, while others offer free versions. You can search for and download these programs from their respective websites.

2. What are the steps for drawing a Lewis structure on the computer?

The exact steps may vary depending on the software program you are using, but generally, the process involves selecting the elements and bonds from a toolbar and dragging them onto a blank canvas. Some programs also allow for the automatic generation of Lewis structures from molecular formulas. It is important to follow the correct valence electron rules and to check for any formal charges in the final structure.

3. Can I customize the appearance of my Lewis structure on the computer?

Yes, most software programs allow for customization of the appearance of Lewis structures, such as changing the color, bond length, and bond angle. This can be helpful for emphasizing certain features or making the structure more visually appealing.

4. How can I check if my Lewis structure on the computer is correct?

Most software programs have a built-in tool for checking the validity of a Lewis structure. This tool typically checks for the correct number of valence electrons, formal charges, and octet rule compliance. Additionally, you can compare your structure to the Lewis structure drawn by hand or use other online resources for verification.

5. Are there any limitations to drawing Lewis structures on the computer?

While drawing Lewis structures on the computer can be convenient and efficient, there are some limitations to consider. For example, some software programs may not accurately depict the 3D nature of molecules, which can affect the placement of lone pairs. Additionally, some structures, such as resonance structures, may be more difficult to draw on the computer compared to by hand.