How does one find the maximum value of f given the graph of f'

In summary: Not sure if that was what you were looking for. You just told me the slope is... That the slope is negative at -5, and still negative until 1. It is only positive on the interval (1,3). Logically, it seems that the y value could not go above the y value at -5, because it has decreased to such a degree, and the slope is positive only for a short moment. But I think that is far from mathematical proof.
://Justice

Homework Statement

The specific problem can be found here: http://www.cbsd.org/sites/teachers/hs/cmcglone/Student%20Documents/Chapter%204%20(Application%20of%20Derivatives)/Section%204.3%20-%20Olsen%20Curve%20Sketching%20Answers.pdf"
The above link also gives the answer. I am not sure on how to get there.

So, my question is: How does one find the maximum value of a function, on a closed interval, given only the graph of the first derivative?

Homework Equations

Because the question is solely graphical, no equations are needed. However, knowledge of the following theorems are:
Extreme Value Theorem
Rolle's Theorem
Mean Value Theorem

and
The First Derivative Test

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if I had the equation to f(x), then I could simply plug the critical points into f(x) and the highest value would be the answer.
Perhaps it has something to do with the slope around the point? Or perhaps the answer can be found using a theorem I am not aware of?

OH, -5 is an endpoint! Surely, this must be critical information! But still, how does one determine for sure that this is the maximum value? I know it is a possible candidate.

And that's as far as I get.
Thanks for the help, in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Something isn't right...

if f has a max/min, f' = 0, f'(-5) is NOT 0

flyingpig said:
Something isn't right...

if f has a max/min, f' = 0, f'(-5) is NOT 0

But it is an endpoint! Endpoints are also possible candidates for maximum values on a closed interval.
I do not know how to determine that it is the maximum value, however.

EDIT:
To clarify, -5 is an endpoint on the closed interval [-5,6]. The question asks for the maximum value on the interval [-5,6].

Oh okay, my fault.

What is the sign of f'(x) at x = -5?

flyingpig said:
Oh okay, my fault.

What is the sign of f'(x) at x = -5?

It is negative

://Justice said:
It is negative

And what does that tell you?

flyingpig said:
And what does that tell you?

That the slope is negative at that point on f(x)

That the slope is negative at that point on f(x)

Yes, what does that look like on f? When we are going DOWN?

flyingpig said:
Yes, what does that look like on f? When we are going DOWN?

Umm...
The slope is negative, but is increasing, correct?
Not sure if that was what you were looking for

Umm...
The slope is negative, but is increasing, correct?
Not sure if that was what you were looking for

Imagine the slope is a ramp. Does that help?

flyingpig said:
Imagine the slope is a ramp. Does that help?

Ummm... attempting to visualize it, but having some trouble. I do believe that the y value for x=-5 has to be greater than at x=-3

EDIT:
Soo.. the slope is negative at -5, and still negative until 1. It is only positive on the interval (1,3). Logically, it seems that the y value could not go above the y value at -5, because it has decreased to such a degree, and the slope is positive only for a short moment. But I think that is far from mathematical proof.

Ummm... attempting to visualize it, but having some trouble. I do believe that the y value for x=-5 has to be greater than at x=-3

EDIT:
Soo.. the slope is negative at -5, and still negative until 1. It is only positive on the interval (1,3). Logically, it seems that the y value could not go above the y value at -5, because it has decreased to such a degree, and the slope is positive only for a short moment. But I think that is far from mathematical proof.

Let's try it this way. To get down from a hill, I must climb ______

flyingpig said:
Let's try it this way. To get down from a hill, I must climb ______

Down, of course
And I can see that x=-5 is a "high" point, but I don't see how to prove that it is the highest

I hate it when I make a mistake too. But since I messed up, you would probably be able to get the answer.

To get down from a hill, I must have climbed the ____ of the hill first.

flyingpig said:
I hate it when I make a mistake too. But since I messed up, you would probably be able to get the answer.

To get down from a hill, I must have climbed the ____ of the hill first.
The top of the hill, of course :)
And I understand the there is surely a "top" to the hill, however, how can I prove that it is on the interval [-5,6], and not somewhere farther to the left? How can I tell that x=-5 is not near the bottom of the hill?

The top of the hill, of course :)
And I understand the there is surely a "top" to the hill, however, how can I prove that it is on the interval [-5,6], and not somewhere farther to the left? How can I tell that x=-5 is not near the bottom of the hill?

You just told me the slope is negative...

Which means that the line is going down. So if you go to the left, you're going up. So the father left, the higher up you are (assuming that there is not another change in slope).
Umm... I'm afraid I'm a bit lost by attempting to visualize the answer. I think I would understand this more easily in terms of math. Sorry I am having trouble with something that must seem obvious

(I am afraid I only have a short time left on the computer)

EDIT:
I have to leave now, but I'll check back later.
Thanks for the help and maybe the solution will come to me!

Last edited:

Homework Statement

The specific problem can be found here: http://www.cbsd.org/sites/teachers/hs/cmcglone/Student%20Documents/Chapter%204%20(Application%20of%20Derivatives)/Section%204.3%20-%20Olsen%20Curve%20Sketching%20Answers.pdf"
The above link also gives the answer. I am not sure on how to get there.

So, my question is: How does one find the maximum value of a function, on a closed interval, given only the graph of the first derivative?

Homework Equations

Because the question is solely graphical, no equations are needed. However, knowledge of the following theorems are:
Extreme Value Theorem
Rolle's Theorem
Mean Value Theorem

and
The First Derivative Test

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, if I had the equation to f(x), then I could simply plug the critical points into f(x) and the highest value would be the answer.
Perhaps it has something to do with the slope around the point? Or perhaps the answer can be found using a theorem I am not aware of?

OH, -5 is an endpoint! Surely, this must be critical information! But still, how does one determine for sure that this is the maximum value? I know it is a possible candidate.

And that's as far as I get.
Thanks for the help, in advance

It is possible to cook up examples where knowing f' alone is not enough. This may be the case when, for example, we have end-point minima, with f'(a) > 0 at the left end and f'(b) < 0 at the right end. Both x=a and x=b are *local* minima, but we need to actually compute f(a) and f(b) (or f(b) - f(a)) in order to tell which is the true minimum. In other words, we may need to accurately estimate the integral of f'(x) for x from a to b in order to fully answer the question. Of course, not all examples are like that.

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I find the maximum value of f given the graph of f'?

To find the maximum value of f, you need to locate the highest point on the graph of f'. This point will be the maximum value of f.

2. What is the significance of finding the maximum value of f?

The maximum value of f represents the highest possible value that can be achieved for the function. This information can be useful in determining optimal solutions in real-world scenarios.

3. Can the maximum value of f be found at multiple points on the graph of f'?

No, the maximum value of f can only occur at one point on the graph of f'. This point will be the highest point on the curve and will have the greatest slope.

4. How can I determine if the maximum value of f is a local or absolute maximum?

A local maximum occurs at a point where the function is higher than all the points immediately before and after it. An absolute maximum occurs when the function is higher than all other points on the entire graph. To determine which type of maximum is present, you can use the first and second derivative tests.

5. Is it possible for a function to have a maximum value at an undefined point on the graph of f'?

Yes, it is possible for a function to have a maximum value at an undefined point on the graph of f'. This could occur if the function has a vertical asymptote at that point. However, it is more common for the maximum value to occur at a defined point on the graph.