How does pressure outside of a wall affect the fluid within?

In summary: although the momentum of the gas molecules within the atmosphere can be taken into account in some calculations.
oliver_lines
Is it similar to the Newton's cradle principle?
This is fluid mechanics/control volumes. There is fluid flowing through a duct and it's being analysed using a control volume surrounding the duct

For example in this question the atmospheric pressure is having an affect on the fluid within the duct even though there is a wall in between the atmosphere and the fluid

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 472
Physics news on Phys.org
Surely this is analogous to the pressure on a submarine. They don't make submarines square/rectangular in cross-section because it would result in uneven distribution of pressure. The longest straight side forms the weakest surface, and would buckle easier.

Unfortunately I'm only guessing because
a] there's no context to the question, and
b] I'm no engineer.

If this is supposed to be a momentum balance to determine the axial force F exerted by the diverging wall on the fluid, and, by Newton's 3rd law, the axial force exerted by the fluid on the diverging wall, then there is a reason you are confused. It's because the analysis is incorrect. Obviously, the pressure of the air outside the duct cannot affect the fluid inside the duct. The correct momentum balance on the fluid passing through the duct is:
$$F+p_1A_1-p_2A_2=\dot{m}(U_2-U_1)$$
Chet

Chestermiller said:
If this is supposed to be a momentum balance to determine the axial force F exerted by the diverging wall on the fluid, and, by Newton's 3rd law, the axial force exerted by the fluid on the diverging wall, then there is a reason you are confused. It's because the analysis is incorrect. Obviously, the pressure of the air outside the duct cannot affect the fluid inside the duct. The correct momentum balance on the fluid passing through the duct is:
$$F+p_1A_1-p_2A_2=\dot{m}(U_2-U_1)$$
Chet

The axial force F is the force on the duct/nozzle I believe, as a result of the fluid flowing through it. I've uploaded another image below. Your answer is what I thought also, but I'm fairly sure we are both wrong, or I just explained it badly to you :D, because this is what we have always been taught in lectures, and I study at Imperial College London so I would hope they would know. What did you think of my Newton's cradle theory? I.e. the momentum of the outer particles being transferred through the wall and inside, with the wall being stationary.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.1 KB · Views: 487
oliver_lines said:
The axial force F is the force on the duct/nozzle I believe, as a result of the fluid flowing through it. I've uploaded another image below. Your answer is what I thought also, but I'm fairly sure we are both wrong, or I just explained it badly to you :D,
If I described the objective of the calculation correctly, then I am confident of my answer (and you should be confident of yours)...with all due respect to Imperial College.

because this is what we have always been taught in lectures, and I study at Imperial College London so I would hope they would know. What did you think of my Newton's cradle theory? I.e. the momentum of the outer particles being transferred through the wall and inside, with the wall being stationary.
I'm not familiar with Newton's cradle problem and I was unable to see the attachment well enough because everything was too small.

Chet

Capture.PNG
Capture2.PNG
capture3.jpg
Chestermiller said:
If I described the objective of the calculation correctly, then I am confident of my answer (and you should be confident of yours)...with all due respect to Imperial College.I'm not familiar with Newton's cradle problem and I was unable to see the attachment well enough because everything was too small.

Chet

okay. I may have to talk with some of my lecturers then :D hopefully you can now see the images now though if you want to look at their full derivation. and I've also uploaded an image of Newtons cradle. I was thinking the three balls in the middle may act like the wall and the two particle either side transfer momentum across the wall. here's a video https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_cradle Thanks for all the replies by the way

oliver_lines said:
View attachment 93529 View attachment 93530 View attachment 93531

okay. I may have to talk with some of my lecturers then :D hopefully you can now see the images now though if you want to look at their full derivation. and I've also uploaded an image of Newtons cradle. I was thinking the three balls in the middle may act like the wall and the two particle either side transfer momentum across the wall. here's a video https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_cradle Thanks for all the replies by the way
Aside from the Newton's cradle thing, which I didn't look at, the derivation of the force F exerted by the nozzle on the fluid and the force -F exerted by the fluid on the nozzle is, in my judgment, done incorrectly. You were correct to observe that the outside air pressure cannot affect the force balance on the fluid whatsoever (except at the exit of the nozzle). So, I stand by what I said.

This is not the first time a problem virtually identical to this has appeared on Physics Forums, and the correct solution has never involved the outside air pressure.

Chet

Likes davenn
Here is my solution:

Bernoulli:$$P_1+\frac{1}{2}ρU_1^2=P_a+\frac{1}{2}ρU_2^2$$

Momentum Balance: $$F+P_1A_1-P_aA_2=ρA_2U_2^2-ρA_1U_1^2$$

My result for the force F is the same as theirs, except for an extra term:

$$F=ρ\left(A_2U_2^2-\frac{A_1U_2^2}{2}-\frac{A_1U_1^2}{2}\right)-p_a(A_1-A_2)$$

Note that the two results would match if gauge pressures were being used (i.e., ##P_2=0##) rather than absolute pressures (i.e., ##P_2=p_a##), but, it is obvious that, in their development, absolute pressures are being used. And that's what I used in my analysis. If I calculate the force f that the fluid exerts on the duct, it would be the negative of my F value:
$$f=-F=-ρ\left(A_2U_2^2-\frac{A_1U_2^2}{2}-\frac{A_1U_1^2}{2}\right)+p_a(A_1-A_2)$$
If I include the force that the outside air exerts on the duct, I get the net force acting on the duct fnet:
$$f_{net}=-ρ\left(A_2U_2^2-\frac{A_1U_2^2}{2}-\frac{A_1U_1^2}{2}\right)$$
My point of all this is that, as you had initially correctly concluded, and, as I had later confirmed, they did the analysis incorrectly, both for the original duct and for the nozzle.

I'm amazed that this is being taught this way at a prominent university, but I guess everyone is human. If they had used gauge pressures, their answer would have been correct.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Here is my solution:

Bernoulli:$$P_1+\frac{1}{2}ρU_1^2=P_a+\frac{1}{2}ρU_2^2$$

Momentum Balance: $$F+P_1A_1-P_aA_2=ρA_2U_2^2-ρA_1U_1^2$$

My result for the force F is the same as theirs, except for an extra term:

$$F=ρ\left(A_2U_2^2-\frac{A_1U_2^2}{2}-\frac{A_1U_1^2}{2}\right)-p_a(A_1-A_2)$$

Note that the two results would match if gauge pressures were being used (i.e., ##P_2=0##) rather than absolute pressures (i.e., ##P_2=p_a##), but, it is obvious that, in their development, absolute pressures are being used. And that's what I used in my analysis. If I calculate the force f that the fluid exerts on the duct, it would be the negative of my F value:
$$f=-F=-ρ\left(A_2U_2^2-\frac{A_1U_2^2}{2}-\frac{A_1U_1^2}{2}\right)+p_a(A_1-A_2)$$
If I include the force that the outside air exerts on the duct, I get the net force acting on the duct fnet:
$$f_{net}=-ρ\left(A_2U_2^2-\frac{A_1U_2^2}{2}-\frac{A_1U_1^2}{2}\right)$$
My point of all this is that, as you had initially correctly concluded, and, as I had later confirmed, they did the analysis incorrectly, both for the original duct and for the nozzle.

I'm amazed that this is being taught this way at a prominent university, but I guess everyone is human. If they had used gauge pressures, their answer would have been correct.

Chet

Well I can't argue with your logic because it's the same as my own, that is what I would have done. I will have to go and ask my lecturers about the notes. Thanks very much for your time and help.

Oliver

1. How does pressure outside of a wall affect the fluid within?

The pressure outside of a wall can affect the fluid within in several ways. If the pressure outside increases, the fluid inside may also experience an increase in pressure, causing it to compress or become more dense. This can also lead to a decrease in volume of the fluid. On the other hand, a decrease in pressure outside may result in the fluid expanding and increasing in volume. Additionally, the direction of the pressure gradient can also affect the movement and flow of the fluid within.

2. Can pressure outside of a wall cause the fluid to change state?

Yes, pressure outside of a wall can cause the fluid within to change state. For example, if the pressure outside is significantly lower than the pressure inside, the fluid may change from a liquid to a gas. This process is known as boiling. Similarly, if the pressure outside is higher than the pressure inside, the fluid may change from a gas to a liquid, known as condensation.

3. How does the type of fluid affect the impact of pressure outside of a wall?

The type of fluid can greatly impact how it responds to pressure changes outside of a wall. For instance, the viscosity, or thickness, of the fluid can determine how easily it can flow under pressure. A thicker fluid may require more force to move and therefore may be less affected by external pressure. Additionally, the compressibility of the fluid can also play a role in how it responds to changes in pressure.

4. Can pressure outside of a wall cause damage to the container holding the fluid?

Yes, pressure outside of a wall can potentially cause damage to the container holding the fluid. If the external pressure becomes too high, it can put stress on the walls of the container, potentially causing it to rupture or deform. This is why it is important to carefully consider the strength and durability of containers when dealing with fluids under pressure.

5. How is pressure outside of a wall measured and monitored?

Pressure outside of a wall is typically measured using a pressure gauge. This device can provide a numerical value for the pressure exerted on the wall, usually in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa). Pressure can also be monitored using sensors that can detect changes in pressure over time. These measurements can be useful in understanding how external pressure is affecting the fluid within and can help in predicting potential changes or hazards.