How does refraction of light work

In summary: I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that only red and the combination of all the colors would be visible. The colors of the rainbow are pure because they are separated by the prism effect of refraction, where each color has its own distinct angle at which it is refracted. As for why we can see all the colors and not just red, it's because of the separation of the colors and the sensitivity of our eyes to different wavelengths of light. Hope this helps!
peter.ell
I've looked into refraction of light, and I understand the basic principles thoroughly, but there are a few things that I don't understand, if you know any of the answers to these questions, please help me:

1.) Why does light bend when it slows down instead of just continuing on in the same direction after being absorbed, held, and then emitted by the electrons in the medium? Why don't the electrons emit the light in the same direction after they absorb it? And how does simply increasing the delay between absorption of light and emission of light cause it to bend more? This doesn't make much sense.

2.) Why are different wavelengths of light refracted to different degrees? I know it's because different wavelengths are slowed to different degrees, but what causes this? Aren't different wavelengths absorbed or transmitted depending on how the electrons in a specific material interact with each wavelength of light, yet all transparent materials slow blue light more than red light, why? What causes does one wavelength travel slower than another?

3.) How is it possible for the colors of a rainbow to be so pure? Given what I learned about the light paths for different colors in a rainbow, I know that red light is not only refracted at the angle where red is seen in a rainbow, but also at all the other angles. Given this, it means that, while green light is not refracted at the top of a rainbow where red is, red happens to be refracted where green is... which should mean that we would not be able to see any of the colors in a rainbow except for red and whatever the combination of red and all the other colors turns out to be. Yet we don't, why not?

My utmost thanks for helping me understand these questions!

Physics news on Phys.org
1) The light is re-emitted in the same direction. Notice how once the light is in the medium, it travels in a straight line. The bending of the light when entering a medium is a *surface* phenomenon. See the animation here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snell's_law#Derivations_and_formulae . Notice how the wavefront travels horizontally across the surface at a faster rate than it travels within the medium. This causes the change in direction of the wavefront in the medium.

2) From a quantum mechanical perspective, the reason light is slowed when traveling through a medium is it interacts with virtual states. Virtual states aren't "real" states in the sense that you can't promote an electron to that level and leave it there (using sloppy language here). Virtual states exist within the band gap of the material. IIRC, the lifetime of a virtual state depends on how close it is in energy to a real state. Virtual states of a higher energy are closer to the conduction band in the material, so they have a longer lifetime. Because of this longer lifetime, it allows for the light to be absorbed for a longer period of time, resulting in a larger delay before it continues merrily on its path. Since blue photons have higher energy, they are slowed down more than red photons.

3) I'm not very clear on your question. The refraction at every angle just means you can see the rainbow no matter where you stand.

1. How does refraction of light occur?

The phenomenon of refraction of light occurs when light travels through a medium with a different optical density, causing it to bend. This change in direction is due to the change in the speed of light as it enters a different medium.

2. What causes light to refract?

The change in speed of light as it travels from one medium to another is the main cause of refraction. This change in speed is due to the change in the density of the medium, which alters the path of the light.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and angle of refraction?

The angle of incidence and angle of refraction are related by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speed of light in the first medium to the speed of light in the second medium.

4. How does the refractive index of a medium affect the refraction of light?

The refractive index of a medium is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced in that medium compared to its speed in a vacuum. The higher the refractive index, the more the light will bend when it enters the medium.

5. What is the difference between refraction and reflection of light?

Refraction and reflection are both ways in which light can change direction when it encounters a boundary between two media. However, refraction involves a change in the speed and direction of light, while reflection involves a change in the direction of light without a change in its speed.