How does temperature affect distillation in a fractionating column?

In summary, the process of distillation involves heating a mixture of substances with different boiling points. As the temperature rises, substances with higher boiling points will condense at the bottom of the column, while those with lower boiling points will condense on their way to the top. This process, known as fractional distillation, is used in various industries such as refining petroleum and making spirits. The temperature gradient along the column is crucial for the efficiency of the process. In the case of distilling gases, the temperature gradient is achieved through different methods and is not affected by the presence of marbles.
faiziqb12
Gold Member
i have got a question with distillation . in distillation as we know the mixture is boiled and the mechanism then goes like substances with high boiling points condense at the bottom and substances with lower boiling points condense on the way to the top.
i don't know why , but i am having difficulty understanding that why should a substance with high boiling point go to the bottom and the substance with the low melting point get higher . it is going against my intuition .
basically what i think is that higher boiling point means greater energy to the system and thus higher output in form of reaching higher . now according to the real observation i am wrong.

so does the system behave like this .
higher boiling point means that after the system changes into gaseous state (most probably) , it radiates energy more fastly that the substance with the lower melting point .

Is this explanation of the phenomena correct

if yes
then explain why does the substance with more boiling point radiate energy more fastly ?

if no
then please correct me with the right mechanism

Physics news on Phys.org
No. No. No.

Bystander said:
No. No. No.

kindly please , give the right mechanism then
its confusing me a lot

Bystander said:
No. No. No.

Sir ,
is it that more energy gets absorbed by the liquid with the lesser boiling point , then

What DO you know? This isn't even close to being a misunderstood/garbled question. I need some place to apply a little leverage.

Bystander said:
What DO you know? This isn't even close to being a misunderstood/garbled question. I need some place to apply a little leverage.

i am sorry for being so dull , but i can't imagine the situation .the lower boiling point rising to a higher level seems like the lower boiling point gets more energy. is it that the lower boiling points get energy even after changing into liquid
true sir ?

faiziqb12 said:
i am sorry for being so dull , but i can't imagine the situation .the lower boiling point rising to a higher level seems like the lower boiling point gets more energy. is it that the lower boiling points get energy even after changing into liquid
true sir ?
Have you ever encountered the terms "vapor pressure", "partial pressure" or "saturated vapor pressure"?

faiziqb12 said:
i have got a question with distillation . in distillation as we know the mixture is boiled and the mechanism then goes like substances with high boiling points condense at the bottom and substances with lower boiling points condense on the way to the top.
i don't know why , but i am having difficulty understanding that why should a substance with high boiling point go to the bottom and the substance with the low melting point get higher . it is going against my intuition .
basically what i think is that higher boiling point means greater energy to the system and thus higher output in form of reaching higher . now according to the real observation i am wrong.

so does the system behave like this .
higher boiling point means that after the system changes into gaseous state (most probably) , it radiates energy more fastly that the substance with the lower melting point .

Is this explanation of the phenomena correct

if yes
then explain why does the substance with more boiling point radiate energy more fastly ?

if no
then please correct me with the right mechanism

You're getting mixed up by your intuition here.

Let's say you take a mixture of ethanol and water at an initial temperature of 20° C. Both substances are liquid at this temperature and let's specify that the ambient pressure is 1 atmosphere, to keep things friendly.

The boiling point of ethanol is about 78° C while water has that well-known boiling point of 100° C at the ambient pressure.

What happens to the mixture of ethanol and water as it's heated and the temperature starts to rise above 20°?

The temperature of the mixture is going to reach 78° eventually, and what happens to the ethanol? At 78°, what is the water doing?

This process is what is known as fractional distillation, and it's used not only in making potable spirits, but it's also used quite extensively in refining petroleum:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation

All that stuff about substances radiating energy 'more fastly' has nothing to do with this process.

faiziqb12 said:
substances with high boiling points condense at the bottom and substances with lower boiling points condense on the way to the top.
i don't know why
Which is a higher temperature, the top or the bottom of the column?

DaleSpam said:
Which is a higher temperature, the top or the bottom of the column?
both are the same because the column is a homogenous system

faiziqb12 said:
Did you read the link that SteamKing provided?

faiziqb12 said:
No, that is not correct at all. The temperature gradient along the column is crucial for the function of the still.

DaleSpam said:
No, that is not correct at all. The temperature gradient along the column is crucial for the function of the still.

that explains it hopefully
but how are gases distilled in the fractional distillation column with marbles present ?
does it also have have a trempreature gradient?

faiziqb12 said:
that explains it hopefully
but how are gases distilled in the fractional distillation column with marbles present ?
does it also have have a trempreature gradient?
It's not clear where you are getting marbles from.

If you look at the diagram of the crude oil separator column in the Wiki article, you'll see that temperatures range from 400° C at the bottom to 150° at the top.

1. What is the relationship between boiling point and distance traveled?

The boiling point of a substance is directly related to the distance it travels during boiling. As the boiling point increases, the distance traveled also increases. This is because substances with higher boiling points have stronger intermolecular forces, requiring more energy to break them apart and causing them to travel a greater distance before boiling.

2. How does atmospheric pressure affect boiling point and distance traveled?

Atmospheric pressure has an inverse relationship with boiling point and distance traveled. As atmospheric pressure increases, the boiling point of a substance decreases, resulting in a shorter distance traveled during boiling. This is because higher atmospheric pressure pushes down on the substance, making it easier for the molecules to escape and reach their boiling point.

3. Can the shape and size of a container affect the distance a substance travels during boiling?

Yes, the shape and size of a container can influence the distance traveled during boiling. A wider and shallower container will allow the substance to spread out more, resulting in a longer distance traveled. On the other hand, a taller and narrower container may restrict the substance's movement, resulting in a shorter distance traveled.

4. How does the type of substance affect the distance it travels during boiling?

The type of substance has a significant impact on the distance traveled during boiling. Each substance has a unique boiling point and intermolecular forces, which determine the distance it can travel before boiling. For example, water has a higher boiling point and stronger intermolecular forces than alcohol, resulting in a shorter distance traveled during boiling.

5. What other factors can affect the distance traveled during boiling?

Aside from boiling point, atmospheric pressure, container shape and size, and substance type, other factors can also influence the distance traveled during boiling. These include the amount of heat supplied, the surface tension of the liquid, and the presence of impurities or dissolved substances in the liquid, which can affect its boiling point and intermolecular forces.