How Does Temperature Change in an Adiabatic Process of a Carnot Engine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of adiabatic changes and how they result in temperature changes. It is noted that adiabatic means no heat exchange but heat does not equal temperature. The first law of thermodynamics is mentioned, stating that energy must be conserved. When a gas expands adiabatically, it does work and this leads to a decrease in temperature due to the decrease in internal energy. The individual concludes that they now have a better understanding and were initially confused by the wordplay.
Chronos000

Homework Statement

I have to draw a temperature versus entropy for a carnot engine. My solutions say that as a parallel to the PV diagram, the adiabatics on the TS diagram are vertical, going from t2 to t1 and vise versa. My question is really how an adiabatic change results in a temperature change. adiabatic means no heat or out so how can the temperature change at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
adiabatic means no heat exchange! yes,
but beware - Heat does not equal temperature! - this is a misnomer that people struggle with due to the common usage in everyday language.

Heat = "transfer' of energy,..but just because there is no transfer doesn't mean the temperature can't change

i.e. take the ideal gas case
[tex] P_i V_i = nRT_i \qquad P_f V_f = nRT_f [/tex]
[tex] \Longrightarrow \frac{T_i}{T_f} = \frac{P_iV_i}{P_fV_f} [/tex]

so, by changes P and V we can change temperature, without heat

Last edited:
Chronos000 said:
My question is really how an adiabatic change results in a temperature change. adiabatic means no heat or out so how can the temperature change at all?
Temperature changes because energy must be conserved. That is the first law of thermodynamics: dQ = dU + dW where dQ is the heat flow into the gas, dW is the work done BY the gas and dU is the change in internal energy of the gas.

One can easily see that if dQ = 0 then dU = - dW. That is to say that the change in internal energy of the gas must be of equal magnitude and opposite in sign to the work done by the gas. When a gas expands adiabatically, it does work: dW = PdV. This has to come entirely from the internal energy of the gas since there is no heat flow. So U must decrease. Since internal energy is proportional to temperature for an ideal gas, the temperature must decrease.

AM

I'm pretty happy with this now thanks. was really the wordplay which confused me

I can provide an explanation for the concept of a Carnot engine and its representation on a T-S diagram. A Carnot engine is a theoretical construct that operates on the principles of thermodynamics, specifically the Carnot cycle. This cycle involves a reversible process of heat transfer and work, and it is represented by a T-S diagram.

On a T-S diagram, the vertical axis represents temperature and the horizontal axis represents entropy. The adiabatic lines on the diagram represent a reversible process in which there is no heat exchange with the surroundings. This means that the system is thermally isolated, and any change in temperature is due to work done on or by the system.

In a Carnot engine, the adiabatic process occurs when the working fluid is compressed or expanded without any heat exchange with the surroundings. This results in a change in temperature without any change in entropy. This is possible because the work done on the system during compression increases the internal energy of the system, leading to an increase in temperature.

Conversely, during expansion, the work done by the system decreases its internal energy, causing a decrease in temperature. This is how an adiabatic process can result in a change in temperature without any heat exchange.

In summary, the adiabatic lines on a T-S diagram for a Carnot engine represent a reversible process in which the temperature changes due to work done on or by the system, rather than heat exchange with the surroundings. This is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and is crucial for understanding the behavior of idealized systems such as the Carnot engine.

Related to How Does Temperature Change in an Adiabatic Process of a Carnot Engine?

1. What is a Carnot engine?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates on the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible process involving two heat reservoirs and an adiabatic process. It serves as a model for the most efficient engine possible, and is often used as a comparison for real-world engines.

2. How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine works by using a reversible process to convert heat energy into work. The engine operates between two heat reservoirs, with one being at a higher temperature and the other at a lower temperature. The engine absorbs heat from the higher reservoir, converts some of it into work, and then releases the remaining heat to the lower reservoir.

3. What is a T-S diagram?

A T-S diagram, also known as a Temperature-Entropy diagram, is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic cycle of a system. The temperature is plotted on the horizontal axis, while the entropy is plotted on the vertical axis. It is often used to analyze the efficiency and performance of heat engines, such as the Carnot engine.

4. How is the efficiency of a Carnot engine calculated?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is calculated by dividing the work output by the heat input, or in other words, the difference between the temperatures of the two heat reservoirs. The maximum efficiency of a Carnot engine can be expressed as 1 - (T_Low / T_High), where T_Low is the temperature of the lower reservoir and T_High is the temperature of the higher reservoir.

5. What are the limitations of a Carnot engine?

The main limitation of a Carnot engine is that it is an idealized model and cannot be practically achieved. It assumes that all processes are reversible, which is not possible in real-world engines. Additionally, the engine's efficiency is limited by the temperature difference between the two heat reservoirs, and the materials used in the engine may not be able to withstand extreme temperatures.