How far from the starting point do the pieces fall on ground

In summary: This is really a lot more complicated than I thought it was when I started!Yes, of course, that's correct.I was thinking that simply it goes 3 times as far as the first piece! I wasn't thinking in terms of ##g## and angles and things. This is really a lot more complicated than I thought it was when I started!In summary, the object is thrown with an initial speed of 20 m/s and an angle of pi/3 radians with the horizontal direction. At the highest point, it is divided into two pieces with equal weights. One of the pieces has a speed of 0 after the division. The distance from the starting point to the ground for the first piece is 17
annalian

Homework Statement

An object is thrown with speed 20 m/Sunder the angle pi/3 rad with the horisontal direction. In the highest point, the object is divised into two pieces with same weights. One of them, after the division has the speed 0.
How far from the starting point do the pieces fall on ground?

Homework Equations

t=2v0sina/g

The Attempt at a Solution

The piece that has the speed 0:
x1=v0^2sin2a/2g=17.32 m
x2=v0^2sin2a/g=34.64 m
The answer in the book is 10, 20 meters.

Physics news on Phys.org
annalian said:

Homework Statement

An object is thrown with speed 20 m/Sunder the angle pi/3 rad with the horisontal direction. In the highest point, the object is divised into two pieces with same weights. One of them, after the division has the speed 0.
How far from the starting point do the pieces fall on ground?

Homework Equations

t=2v0sina/g

The Attempt at a Solution

The piece that has the speed 0:
x1=v0^2sin2a/2g=17.32 m
x2=v0^2sin2a/g=34.64 m
The answer in the book is 10, 20 meters.

This problem is in two parts. Can you describe what happens in each part?

Because of this, you will need to be careful about what you mean by ##v_0## and ##t##. You will have to define all your variables carefully before you use any equations to relate them.

PS In fact, it's in three parts!

PeroK said:
This problem is in two parts. Can you describe what happens in each part?

Because of this, you will need to be careful about what you mean by ##v_0## and ##t##. You will have to define all your variables carefully before you use any equations to relate them.
The first piece follows the movement as if nothing happened (as if it was the object without being devised.)
That's why for it I used L=v0^2sin2a/g
v0=20 m/S is the initial speed of the object
a-the angle the object forms with the horizon.
The second piece just does half of the complete movement, as when it reaches the top, the speed becomes 0. So the road is half of the one of the first piece.

annalian said:
The first piece follows the movement as if nothing happened (as if it was the object without being devised.)
That's why for it I used L=v0^2sin2a/g
v0=20 m/S is the initial speed of the object
a-the angle the object forms with the horizon.
The second piece just does half of the complete movement, as when it reaches the top, the speed becomes 0. So the road is half of the one of the first piece.

I think your answer is better than the one in the book. Do you think conservation of momentum might be involved?

The book answer can't possibly be correct for the problem as stated.

PeroK said:
I think your answer is better than the one in the book. Do you think conservation of momentum might be involved?

The book answer can't possibly be correct for the problem as stated.
No, we haven't repeated momentum yet. Do you think the answer will be right, by using the momentum?

annalian said:
No, we haven't repeated momentum yet. Do you think the answer will be right, by using the momentum?

I would perhaps leave this question. The book answer is clearly not right. But, you might ask yourself why it said the two pieces were of equal weight? Why is the size of the two pieces important?

PeroK said:
I would perhaps leave this question. The book answer is clearly not right. But, you might ask yourself why it said the two pieces were of equal weight? Why is the size of the two pieces important?
to use teh expression mv=m1v1+m2v2
v=v1+v2, v1=0
v2=v

annalian said:
to use teh expression mv=m1v1+m2v2
v=v1+v2, v1=0
v2=v

Shouldn't that be ##m_1 = m_2 = \frac{m}{2}, \ \ v_2 = 2v##?

Likes annalian
PeroK said:
Shouldn't that be ##m_1 = m_2 = \frac{m}{2}, \ \ v_2 = 2v##?
Yes, you're right

annalian said:
Yes, you're right
So in this case, the road for the first one would be the same, but for the second, I would have to add to the first one v0^2sin2a/2g, where v0=40 m/s?

annalian said:
So in this case, the road for the first one would be the same, but for the second, I would have to add to the first one v0^2sin2a/2g, where v0=40 m/s?

No, you need to think more carefully about the horizontal speed of the second piece. It is ##v## until the highest point, and ##2v## after that.

PeroK said:
No, you need to think more carefully about the horizontal speed of the second piece. It is ##v## until the highest point, and ##2v## after that.
Yes, I said it is 20^2sin2a/2g+40^2sin2a/g. Is this correct?

annalian said:
Yes, I said it is 20^2sin2a/2g+40^2sin2a/g. Is this correct?

Yes, of course, that's correct.

I was thinking that simply it goes 3 times as far as the first piece! I wasn't thinking in terms of ##g## and angles and things.

Likes annalian

1. How is the distance from the starting point calculated?

The distance from the starting point is calculated using the equation d = 1/2 * g * t^2, where d is the distance, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

2. Does the weight of the object affect how far it falls from the starting point?

Yes, the weight of the object does affect how far it falls from the starting point. Heavier objects will fall faster and therefore will travel a greater distance from the starting point.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the distance from the starting point?

The unit of measurement for the distance from the starting point is meters (m).

4. Can air resistance affect the distance from the starting point?

Yes, air resistance can affect the distance from the starting point. Objects with larger surface areas or less aerodynamic shapes will experience more air resistance, causing them to fall slower and travel a shorter distance from the starting point.

5. Is the distance from the starting point affected by the height from which the object is dropped?

Yes, the distance from the starting point is affected by the height from which the object is dropped. The higher the starting point, the longer the object has to fall and the greater the distance it will travel from the starting point.