• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How far the far the mass travels before stopping

• Thread starter glitchy
  • Start date
Hey all how u doin. i need help with the following 2 questions.

1. A mass m is given an initial velocity of 'u' in the x-direction. It moves in a medium that resists its motion with a force proportional to the velocity, F = -kv. Find v(x) and how far the far the mass travels before stopping. Find v(t)

2. A ball is thrown horizontally from the top of 150-ft cliff at A with a speed of 50ft/s and lands at point C. Because of a strong horizontal wind, the ball has a constant acceleration in the negative x-direction. Determine the radius of curvature 'p' of the path of the ball at B, where its trajectory makes an angle 45 degrees with the horizontal. i got "normal acc" to be 38. need to check on tht.

p.s. the attached pic is for question 2
thnk u

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
benorin, you know better! The original poster showed no work whatsoever, not even a statement of the formulas required. If you just hand him an answer, he won't learn.

glitchy, what are the basic physics formulas governing these situations? What effort have you made yourself?

benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
benorin, you know better! The original poster showed no work whatsoever, not even a statement of the formulas required. If you just hand him an answer, he won't learn.

glitchy, what are the basic physics formulas governing these situations? What effort have you made yourself?
He has a full solution already, it is posted here: http://www.mathlinks.ro/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=137164

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I can't control what people do on other forums!