How far will it travel before it begins to fall to earth?

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with solving for distance without time in the formula and asks for help in finding the potential output from a transformer used to supply power to a home during a storm outage. The solution involves using known values and formulas to calculate the time and height of a bullet's trajectory and the design of a transformer to increase voltage output.
robbie
Please help. The first question I don' know how to solve for distance because I don't have time in the formula. I've spent three days, and my friends and I are stumped, and had no-where else to turn, someone please help me.

1. You shoot a 30g bullet straight up at a velocity of 724m/s. How far will it travel before it begins to fall to earth?

2. If your car can generate electricity 12 v AC at 50 amps and you decide to supply power to your home during a storm outage. Please design a transformer to convert electricity to 120 v AC. Your primary coil has 100 turns. What is the potential output from the transfer?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You shoot a 30g bullet straight up at a velocity of 724m/s. How far will it travel before it begins to fall to earth?

You know that the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8 m/s2 (negative since it is downward) so the speed at any time t is given by 724- 9.8t. The bullet will continue upward until its speed becomes 0. Then it will fall back as the speed becomes negative.

724- 9.8t= 0 gives t= 724/9.8= 73.9 seconds.

You also know that the height above the ground is given by (the "anti-derivative" of speed) 724t- 4.9t2. Plug 73.9 seconds in for t and calculate the height at that time.

___
2. If your car can generate electricity 12 v AC at 50 amps and you decide to supply power to your home during a storm outage. Please design a transformer to convert electricity to 120 v AC. Your primary coil has 100 turns. What is the potential output from the transfer?
___
Are you being asked for power output?

Your max power output from the transformer is the power in.

Your secondary turns must be 10 times more than your primary turns since you are looking for 10 times the voltage output.

Your current output is therefore one-tenth your current input..

1. How is the distance traveled before falling calculated?

The distance traveled before falling is calculated using the formula d = (v2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where d is the distance traveled, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Does the weight of the object affect how far it will travel before falling?

Yes, the weight of the object does affect how far it will travel before falling. Heavier objects will have a greater force of gravity acting on them, causing them to fall faster and therefore travel a shorter distance before falling.

3. How does air resistance impact the distance traveled before falling?

Air resistance, or drag, opposes the motion of an object through the air. This force increases as the object travels faster, causing it to slow down. Therefore, air resistance can decrease the distance an object travels before falling.

4. Does the elevation or altitude of the launch point affect the distance traveled before falling?

Yes, the elevation or altitude of the launch point can affect the distance traveled before falling. Objects launched at higher altitudes have less air resistance, allowing them to travel farther before falling compared to objects launched at lower altitudes.

5. Is the distance traveled before falling affected by the shape or size of the object?

The shape and size of the object can affect the distance traveled before falling. Objects with a larger surface area will experience more air resistance, causing them to slow down and travel a shorter distance before falling. Additionally, objects with a streamlined shape will have less air resistance and can travel farther before falling compared to objects with irregular shapes.