Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How fillers are added to silicon fluids?

1. May 26, 2015 #1
    Some silicon products (like silicon greases) have different types of fillers added to it (like silica and carbon black) to give it certain properties. How these fillers are added/combined/"dissolved" to the silicon fluid?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2
    Liquids are mixed with liquids, powders are often ground in, a process called mulling.

4. May 26, 2015 #3
    wouldn't the powder settle down after a period of time if it were just mixed with the silicone? are there some kind of minimum shear power to fully mix the components to one mixture, or can I do it at home like mixing water and salts?

5. May 27, 2015 #4
    It depends on what kind of silicon polymer you have. Usually they are gels or thick fluids which will hold onto suspensions. If it is a fluid it is a complicated but not too difficult subject. It depends on such things as the polarities of what you are adding and whether they are attracted to the silicon - but on several other factors as well. With paint for example there are modified oils that mix with water, furthermore there are intermediary chemicals (I forget the name) which will bind on to the pigment with one end of the molecule and to the oils with the other. Do look up mulling btw!

6. May 27, 2015 #5
    Thank you Puma
    I tried searching "mulling" and "silicone mulling" but the results were not related to the topic. Are you sure of the spelling?

7. May 27, 2015 #6
    Yes its right! You'll have to look up mulling paint I guess to get good info. But anyhow basically all you need to know is that powders have to be really finely ground into the carrying medium to disperse it evenly eg by hand with paint this equates to a flat stone, oil, pigment and another flat stone. Sorry to make a meal of this simple process!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook