How great is the friction force?

In summary, the person is trying to move a freezer full of ice cream with a force of 400 Newtons but it will not budge. The weight of the freezer is 1000 Newtons and the friction force exerted by the floor is equal to the force applied by the person, making it also 400 Newtons. The person is correct in their assumption that the friction force must be 400 Newtons, as shown by the free body diagram with balanced forces. It is always recommended to draw a free body diagram when solving problems involving forces.
uwmphysics
I was wondering if someone could help explain this. I don't understand how to calculate the friction force...

So here's the question I'm working on

You are applying a 400-Newton force to a freezer full of chocolate chip ice cream in an attempt to move it across the basement. It will not budge. The weight of the freezer (including ice cream) is 1000 N. The friction force exerted by the floor on the freezer is
a. 400 N
b. greater than 400 N but less than 1000 N
c. 1000 N
d. greater than 1000 N

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
uwmphysics said:
I was wondering if someone could help explain this. I don't understand how to calculate the friction force...

So here's the question I'm working on

You are applying a 400-Newton force to a freezer full of chocolate chip ice cream in an attempt to move it across the basement. It will not budge. The weight of the freezer (including ice cream) is 1000 N. The friction force exerted by the floor on the freezer is
a. 400 N
b. greater than 400 N but less than 1000 N
c. 1000 N
d. greater than 1000 N

thanks

You should start with a free body diagram. What are the forces acting on the freezer? In what direction are they acting? Using the fact that the net force is zero (the acceleration is zero since the freezer is at rest), the answer should then be clear.

thank you...good idea. I made the diagram, and it would have an unbalenced force without friction, so i think friction has to be 400 N.

do you think I'm right?

Hello uwmphysics,

you are lucky, instead of calculating the movement of blocks you got a freezer full of chocolate chip ice cream :approve:

I assume the applied force is meant to point horizontally at the centre of mass of the freezer (no tilting).

In which direction does the friction force point and where is it's origin? Remember the freezer does not budge while applying 400N.

Regards,

nazzard

uwmphysics said:
thank you...good idea. I made the diagram, and it would have an unbalenced force without friction, so i think friction has to be 400 N.

do you think I'm right?

Ha, slow forum for me today. Your answer is correct.

uwmphysics said:

do you think I'm right?
Yes. Good job. (I am assuming that the person is pushing *horizontally*, otherwise the answer would be different.

The free body diagram should have 4 forces: a normal force acting upward (due to the floor pushing on the freezer), the weight of the freezer (i.e. the force of gravity, acting downward), the force applied by the person, 400 N to the right (let's say) and a static friction force to the left. Since the net force is zero, the friction force must have a magnitude equal to the force applied by the person.

It is *always* a very good idea to draw a free body diagram!

Patrick

1. How is friction force defined?

The friction force is defined as the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of friction force?

The magnitude of friction force is affected by the nature of the objects in contact, the roughness of their surfaces, and the force pressing them together.

3. How does friction force impact motion?

Friction force can either slow down or stop the motion of an object, or it can cause it to change direction or speed up if the force is applied in the opposite direction.

4. Can friction force be reduced?

Yes, friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, or by using smooth surfaces to reduce the roughness and increase the slipperiness between two objects.

5. How does the amount of friction force vary between different surfaces?

The amount of friction force can vary greatly between different surfaces. For example, the friction force between two pieces of sandpaper will be much greater than the friction force between two pieces of ice.