How high did my golf ball go? (I have time of flight straight up)

In summary: If you ever looked at a golf ball, you'll notice dimples. These dimples are what give a golf ball lift, by producing turbulence in the air around the ball.In summary, there is a way to determine the maximum speed and height reached by a golf ball launcher, but it requires taking into account factors such as air resistance and the aerodynamics of the golf ball. While a simple calculation can be done by ignoring these factors, it may not accurately reflect the actual results.
applepi38
Years ago, I made a golf ball launcher. It shot straight up at a 90 degree angle. From launch to landing only 2 feet from where it started, it took about 20 seconds before it was back on the ground. Is there a way to determine its maximum speed and height it reached? This has been bugging me for years!

Science news on Phys.org
applepi38 said:
Years ago, I made a golf ball launcher. It shot straight up at a 90 degree angle. From launch to landing only 2 feet from where it started, it took about 20 seconds before it was back on the ground. Is there a way to determine its maximum speed and height it reached?
It would be easy if we could ignore air resistance: It went up for ten seconds, it went down for ten seconds; maximum upwards speed at the moment that it leaves the launcher is equl to the maximum downward speed as it reaches the ground. Now we just have to calculate how high you have to be to take ten seconds to fall to Earth and how fast you're moving when you hit, and ##s=at^2/2## (##s## is the distance, ##a## is the acceleration from gravity, and ##t## is the time) and a bit of algebra will do that.

In practice the effects of air resistance cannot be ignored. The actual height and final impact speed will lower because of that, but the calculation is appreciably more complicated.

Last edited:
Likes applepi38 and sophiecentaur
In addition to what Nugatory said, a golf balls aerodynamics are somewhat complicated I believe.

1. How do you calculate the height of a golf ball?

To calculate the height of a golf ball, you will need to know the time of flight, or how long the ball was in the air, and the initial velocity of the ball when it was hit. You can use the formula h = (1/2) * g * t^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time of flight. Plug in the values and solve for h to find the height of the golf ball.

2. Is the height of a golf ball affected by the club used?

Yes, the height of a golf ball can be affected by the club used. The type of club, the angle at which it is swung, and the force applied can all impact the height of the ball. Generally, a higher lofted club, such as a pitching wedge, will produce a higher ball flight than a lower lofted club, like a 3 iron.

3. Can wind affect the height of a golf ball?

Yes, wind can definitely affect the height of a golf ball. A strong tailwind can help carry the ball higher and farther, while a strong headwind can cause the ball to drop lower and have shorter flight. Crosswinds can also affect the direction and height of the ball, making it more difficult to accurately predict its trajectory.

4. What is the average height of a golf ball?

The average height of a golf ball can vary depending on factors such as the club used, the golfer's swing technique, and weather conditions. However, on average, a well-hit golf ball can reach a height of around 30-40 feet (9-12 meters) in the air.

5. How can I improve the height of my golf ball?

Improving the height of your golf ball can be achieved through proper swing technique, using the right club for the shot, and taking weather conditions into consideration. Working with a coach or practicing regularly can also help improve your ball flight and overall golf game.