How is the angle of BF3 120 degrees?

In summary, the conversation discusses the bond angle of BF3 and its comparison to NF3. While BF3 shows back bonding, it does not significantly impact the bond angle of 120 degrees due to the impossibility of an increase in all three bond angles.
prakhargupta3301
Since it shows back bonding, shouldn't it be a little more than that?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
Thanks but I've already been there.
My query was that BF3 already has trigonal planar structure by hybridization. And the predicted bond angle is 120 deg.
But, we know that it shows BB too. So why doesn't it increases the bond angle?

Which bond angle? all three? Is that possible?

prakhargupta3301 said:
So why doesn't it increases the bond angle?
What number would it increase to?

Edit: ninja'd by mjc123

TeethWhitener said:
What number would it increase to?
mjc123 said:
Which bond angle? all three? Is that possible?

Edit: ninja'd by mjc123
Um. I don't know.
Perhaps that answered my question. An increase in all three is just impossible. Perhaps I was only playing around with the idea of BB with just one F but it's with all three. Is that what you mean?

prakhargupta3301 said:
An increase in all three is just impossible.
prakhargupta3301 said:
Is that what you mean?
Yes (I can't speak for mjc, but that's what I was thinking)

Likes prakhargupta3301
TeethWhitener said:
Yes (I can't speak for mjc, but that's what I was thinking)
Okay thanks for helping me!

1. What is the molecular structure of BF3?

The molecular structure of BF3 is trigonal planar, meaning it has a flat, triangular shape.

2. Why is the angle of BF3 120 degrees?

The angle of BF3 is 120 degrees because of the repulsion between the three bonded pairs of electrons around the central atom, which causes the atoms to arrange themselves in a way that maximizes distance and minimizes repulsion.

3. How is the bond angle of BF3 determined?

The bond angle of BF3 is determined by the number of bonded electron pairs and the number of lone pairs around the central atom. In the case of BF3, there are three bonded pairs and no lone pairs, resulting in a bond angle of 120 degrees.

4. Can the angle of BF3 change?

No, the angle of BF3 is fixed at 120 degrees due to the strong repulsive forces between the bonded electron pairs. However, the molecule can rotate around its axis, resulting in different orientations.

5. How does the angle of BF3 affect its properties?

The angle of BF3 plays a crucial role in determining the molecule's polarity and reactivity. The symmetric, trigonal planar shape of BF3 makes it a nonpolar molecule, which affects its solubility and interactions with other molecules. The angle also determines the stability of the molecule and its ability to participate in chemical reactions.