How Is the Formula v=wr Derived in Vector Terms?

In summary, the formula for tangential velocity (v) can be derived as v = ωr, where ω is the rotational velocity and r is the radius vector. This can be concluded from the attached image, where it is shown that w = r x v, v = w x r, and r = v x w. However, it is important to note that the cross product does not commute, and the correct equations should be v = ωr and ω = (r x v)/r^2.
Chemist@
How to derive the formula:
v=wr
where v is the tangential velocity, w is the rotational velocity, and r i the radius vector?

From the attached image, it can be concluded that (each quantity is a vector): w=r x v, also v=w x r, and r= v x w. All three vectors are perpendicular to each other, therefore the intensity of each vector can be calculated by vector multiplication. Then (each quantity is a vector modulus):
w=rv, v=wr, r=vw, this system of equations is true if w=v=r which mustn't be true. I need an explanation. What did I wrong to arrive at this incorrect equality?

Attachments

• untitled.gif
    untitled.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 4,718
Likes PaperAirplane
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the image below:
circle_arc.png

By definition of a radian(unit of angle), we can write [itex] s= r \theta [/itex](where [itex] \theta [/itex] is in radians). Now, assuming a fixed radius, differentiation of the equation w.r.t. time will give you the desired result.

Chemist@ said:
How to derive the formula:
v=wr
where v is the tangential velocity, w is the rotational velocity, and r i the radius vector?

From the attached image, it can be concluded that (each quantity is a vector): w=r x v, also v=w x r, and r= v x w. All three vectors are perpendicular to each other, therefore the intensity of each vector can be calculated by vector multiplication. Then (each quantity is a vector modulus):
w=rv, v=wr, r=vw, this system of equations is true if w=v=r which mustn't be true. I need an explanation. What did I wrong to arrive at this incorrect equality?

The angular velocity ω is usually a scalar, rather than a vector quantity. The magnitude of the radial velocity is given as v = ω r, where r is the magnitude of the radius vector.

For a derivation of the radial velocity vector, see this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_motion

and note the difference between ω and the vector Ω.

You should also be aware that the cross product does not commute, so that all of these statements may not be valid simultaneously:

w=r x v, v=w x r, r= v x w.

Okay, but I want to derive it the way I previously posted, but it brings me nowhere and I want to make myself clear what was wrong.
The cross product does not commute, but how does that explain anything?

Chemist@ said:
From the attached image, it can be concluded that (each quantity is a vector): w=r x v, also v=w x r, and r= v x w.
How did you conclude that from the image? It's only true if they are all unit vectors

I think that you have the answer, but please explain it. How is it true only then?

Chemist@ said:
I think that you have the answer, but please explain it.
You have to explain how you concluded all that from your picture.

I wrote it. w=r x v, also v=w x r, and r= v x w from the picture. For example r x v gives the vector w. I got all by calculating the vector product:
<r x v>=<w>=rv*sin(pi/2)=rv. The same way I got that v=wr, r=vw.

Chemist@ said:
I wrote it. w=r x v, also v=w x r, and r= v x w from the picture. For example r x v gives the vector w. I got all by calculating the vector product:
<r x v>=<w>=rv*sin(pi/2)=rv. The same way I got that v=wr, r=vw.
Your picture only shows three vectors perpendicular to each other. It doesn't tell you what the lengths of the vectors are. The correct equations should be[tex]
\textbf{v} = \boldsymbol{\omega} \times \textbf{r}; \;
\boldsymbol{\omega} = \frac{\textbf{r} \times \textbf{v}}{r^2}
[/tex]

How did you get that w=rxv/r^2?

Chemist@ said:
w=r x v, also v=w x r, and r= v x w from the picture.
None of this follows from the picture. Just because 3 vectors are perpendicular, doesn't mean they necessarily represent the operands and result of a vector product.

Chemist@ said:
How did you get that w=rxv/r^2?
See, for example, angular velocity, or any textbook on the subject.

Related to How Is the Formula v=wr Derived in Vector Terms?

What is the formula for calculating velocity?

The formula for calculating velocity is v=wr, where v is velocity, w is angular velocity, and r is the radius of rotation.

How is the formula for velocity derived?

The formula for velocity, v=wr, is derived from the definition of angular velocity (w) as the change in angle (theta) per unit time (t) and the definition of linear velocity (v) as the change in distance (s) per unit time (t). Therefore, v=wr=s/t, and since t=1, we get v=wr.

What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity (w) measures the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity (v) measures the rate of change of linear displacement. In other words, angular velocity measures how quickly an object is rotating, while linear velocity measures how quickly an object is moving in a straight line.

Is the formula for velocity applicable to all types of motion?

The formula v=wr is specifically applicable to circular motion, where an object is moving in a circular path with a constant radius. For other types of motion, such as linear or projectile motion, different formulas are used to calculate velocity.

Can the formula for velocity be used to calculate speed?

No, the formula v=wr calculates velocity, which is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction. To calculate speed, the formula v=wr must be modified to only include the magnitude of velocity, or the absolute value of v.