How is the theorem of Stoke's proved for closed submanifolds without boundaries?

In summary: If you deform the closed form then the cocycle will change but the integral over the whole deformation will still be the same. If you deform the closed form so that it has a boundary then the integral over the boundary will be different but the integral over the whole deformation will still be the same.In summary, this paper proves that the value of a closed form on a p-dimensional closed submanifold is the same no matter what the deformation is.
arestes
Hi guys!
I am reading a paper which uses closed forms [tex] \omega [/tex] on a p-dimensional closed submanifold [tex] \Sigma[/tex] of a larger manifold [tex]M[/tex]. When we integrate [tex]\omega[/tex] we get a number
[tex] Q(\Sigma) =\int _{\Sigma}\omega [/tex] which, in principle, depends on the choice of [tex]\Sigma [/tex] but because [tex] \omega [/tex]is closed, [tex] Q(\Sigma)[/tex] is said to be unchanged by continuous deformations of [tex]\Sigma[/tex]. The converse is supposed to be true as well.

Now, I understand this as a generalization of Gauss' law in electrostatics (three dimensions) but I only remember that for this particular case, the demonstration I saw was purely geometrical. I know that this has to use the fact that [tex] \Sigma [/tex] does not have a boundary (closed submanifold). How exactly is this proved?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is continuously deformed to [itex]\Sigma'[/itex], then we have that

[tex]\Sigma - \Sigma' = \partial \mathcal{R}[/tex]

where [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex] is the (p+1)-dimensional region enclosed by [itex]\Sigma[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma'[/itex], and [itex]\partial[/itex] is the boundary operator. Applying the boundary operator again and using [itex]\partial^2 = 0[/itex], we get

[tex]\partial \Sigma - \partial \Sigma' = 0[/tex]

which means that the continuous deformations of [itex]\Sigma[/itex] must leave its boundary unchanged (if it has a boundary). This is analogous to Ampere's law: the B flux through a loop is proportional to the current enclosed, and the B flux can be evaluated on any surface having the loop as its boundary.

Then we can apply the generalized Stokes' theorem:

[tex]\int_{\Sigma - \Sigma'} \omega = \int_{\partial \mathcal{R}} \omega = \int_{\mathcal{R}} d\omega = 0[/tex]

Finally, we have, by linearity,

[tex]\int_{\Sigma} \omega = \int_{\Sigma'} \omega[/tex]

hi thanks! that is partly what I wanted. However, this argument still doesn't use the fact that [tex]\Sigma [/tex] is a closed submanifold, that is, its boundary is the empty set. I think it should be important.

arestes said:
hi thanks! that is partly what I wanted. However, this argument still doesn't use the fact that [tex]\Sigma [/tex] is a closed submanifold, that is, its boundary is the empty set. I think it should be important.

It's not important, as you can see in my argument above. It is simpler to assume that [itex]\Sigma[/itex] has no boundary, but it is not necessary, as long as [itex]\Sigma'[/itex] has the same boundary. That is, any continuous deformation which leaves the boundary unchanged is allowed.

arestes said:
Hi guys!
I am reading a paper which uses closed forms [tex] \omega [/tex] on a p-dimensional closed submanifold [tex] \Sigma[/tex] of a larger manifold [tex]M[/tex]. When we integrate [tex]\omega[/tex] we get a number
[tex] Q(\Sigma) =\int _{\Sigma}\omega [/tex] which, in principle, depends on the choice of [tex]\Sigma [/tex] but because [tex] \omega [/tex]is closed, [tex] Q(\Sigma)[/tex] is said to be unchanged by continuous deformations of [tex]\Sigma[/tex]. The converse is supposed to be true as well.

Now, I understand this as a generalization of Gauss' law in electrostatics (three dimensions) but I only remember that for this particular case, the demonstration I saw was purely geometrical. I know that this has to use the fact that [tex] \Sigma [/tex] does not have a boundary (closed submanifold). How exactly is this proved?

The general theorem is Stoke's theorem if the deformation is smooth. The two bounding manifolds of the deformation are homologous so a cocycle will have the same value on each. The closed form is a cocycle in the de Rham complex of the larger manifold.

Related to How is the theorem of Stoke's proved for closed submanifolds without boundaries?

1. What is integration of closed forms?

Integration of closed forms is a mathematical process of finding the antiderivative of a given function. It is the reverse operation of differentiation, which involves finding the derivative of a function.

2. What are some common closed forms that can be integrated?

Some common closed forms that can be integrated include polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and rational functions.

3. What is the purpose of integration of closed forms?

The purpose of integration of closed forms is to solve mathematical problems that involve finding the total area under a curve, the displacement of an object, or the total accumulation of a quantity over a given interval.

4. How is integration of closed forms different from numerical integration?

Integration of closed forms involves finding the exact antiderivative of a function, while numerical integration involves approximating the area under a curve using a series of numerical calculations.

5. What are some techniques used for integrating closed forms?

Some techniques used for integrating closed forms include the power rule, substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques are based on the properties of derivatives and antiderivatives.