How is the theorem of Stoke's proved for closed submanifolds without boundaries?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
arestes
Messages
84
Reaction score
4
Hi guys!
I am reading a paper which uses closed forms [tex]\omega[/tex] on a p-dimensional closed submanifold [tex]\Sigma[/tex] of a larger manifold [tex]M[/tex]. When we integrate [tex]\omega[/tex] we get a number
[tex]Q(\Sigma) =\int _{\Sigma}\omega[/tex] which, in principle, depends on the choice of [tex]\Sigma[/tex] but because [tex]\omega[/tex]is closed, [tex]Q(\Sigma)[/tex] is said to be unchanged by continuous deformations of [tex]\Sigma[/tex]. The converse is supposed to be true as well.

Now, I understand this as a generalization of Gauss' law in electrostatics (three dimensions) but I only remember that for this particular case, the demonstration I saw was purely geometrical. I know that this has to use the fact that [tex]\Sigma[/tex] does not have a boundary (closed submanifold). How exactly is this proved?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is continuously deformed to [itex]\Sigma'[/itex], then we have that

[tex]\Sigma - \Sigma' = \partial \mathcal{R}[/tex]

where [itex]\mathcal{R}[/itex] is the (p+1)-dimensional region enclosed by [itex]\Sigma[/itex] and [itex]\Sigma'[/itex], and [itex]\partial[/itex] is the boundary operator. Applying the boundary operator again and using [itex]\partial^2 = 0[/itex], we get

[tex]\partial \Sigma - \partial \Sigma' = 0[/tex]

which means that the continuous deformations of [itex]\Sigma[/itex] must leave its boundary unchanged (if it has a boundary). This is analogous to Ampere's law: the B flux through a loop is proportional to the current enclosed, and the B flux can be evaluated on any surface having the loop as its boundary.

Then we can apply the generalized Stokes' theorem:

[tex]\int_{\Sigma - \Sigma'} \omega = \int_{\partial \mathcal{R}} \omega = \int_{\mathcal{R}} d\omega = 0[/tex]

Finally, we have, by linearity,

[tex]\int_{\Sigma} \omega = \int_{\Sigma'} \omega[/tex]
 
hi thanks! that is partly what I wanted. However, this argument still doesn't use the fact that [tex]\Sigma[/tex] is a closed submanifold, that is, its boundary is the empty set. I think it should be important.
 
arestes said:
hi thanks! that is partly what I wanted. However, this argument still doesn't use the fact that [tex]\Sigma[/tex] is a closed submanifold, that is, its boundary is the empty set. I think it should be important.

It's not important, as you can see in my argument above. It is simpler to assume that [itex]\Sigma[/itex] has no boundary, but it is not necessary, as long as [itex]\Sigma'[/itex] has the same boundary. That is, any continuous deformation which leaves the boundary unchanged is allowed.
 
arestes said:
Hi guys!
I am reading a paper which uses closed forms [tex]\omega[/tex] on a p-dimensional closed submanifold [tex]\Sigma[/tex] of a larger manifold [tex]M[/tex]. When we integrate [tex]\omega[/tex] we get a number
[tex]Q(\Sigma) =\int _{\Sigma}\omega[/tex] which, in principle, depends on the choice of [tex]\Sigma[/tex] but because [tex]\omega[/tex]is closed, [tex]Q(\Sigma)[/tex] is said to be unchanged by continuous deformations of [tex]\Sigma[/tex]. The converse is supposed to be true as well.

Now, I understand this as a generalization of Gauss' law in electrostatics (three dimensions) but I only remember that for this particular case, the demonstration I saw was purely geometrical. I know that this has to use the fact that [tex]\Sigma[/tex] does not have a boundary (closed submanifold). How exactly is this proved?

The general theorem is Stoke's theorem if the deformation is smooth. The two bounding manifolds of the deformation are homologous so a cocycle will have the same value on each. The closed form is a cocycle in the de Rham complex of the larger manifold.