Differentiating an Equation: 2x Double Dot?

• Thread starter likearollings
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for help with differentiating an equation and finding the LHS of the result, which involves using the chain rule. The person responding has not been able to solve it yet but suspects it involves manipulating differentials. They also ask if their approach is correct and invite others to try solving it as well.
likearollings
Can anybody tell me how this is true.

THE FIRST X DOT IS SUPPOSED TO BE SQUARED!
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1264/80680201.jpg
THE FIRST X DOT IS SUPPOSED TO BE SQUARED!(I was given an equation and this is the LHS. I had to differentiate it with respect to x (i think) and this is the result, what is where the ... is?) I had to differentiate an equation and show it equaled another. I have got the RHS right, just can't work out how the LHS goes to 2x double dot

Any help is appreiciated

I suspect the chain rule is involved

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm, good question, I can get it if I play with differentials..

homology said:
Hmmm, good question, I can get it if I play with differentials..

is it even right? please have a play

1. How do you differentiate an equation with 2x double dot?

The process of differentiating an equation with 2x double dot involves taking the second derivative of the equation with respect to x. This means finding the rate of change of the slope of the original equation.

2. What is the general formula for differentiating an equation with 2x double dot?

The general formula for differentiating an equation with 2x double dot is d^2y/dx^2, where 'y' represents the original equation and 'x' represents the variable with respect to which the derivative is being taken.

3. How is differentiating an equation with 2x double dot useful in science?

Differentiating an equation with 2x double dot is useful in science because it helps us understand the rate of change of physical quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and force. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, including physics, engineering, and biology.

4. What are some real-life examples of differentiating an equation with 2x double dot?

Some real-life examples of differentiating an equation with 2x double dot include calculating the acceleration of a falling object, determining the rate of change of temperature in a chemical reaction, and finding the rate at which a population is growing.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines to keep in mind when differentiating an equation with 2x double dot?

Yes, there are some rules and guidelines to follow when differentiating an equation with 2x double dot. These include the power rule, product rule, and chain rule, which help simplify the process and ensure accurate results. It is also important to keep track of the order of operations and use proper notation when writing the derivative.