1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does is remain in the air?

1. Jan 14, 2005 #1
    I really don't understand my physics class... Can anyone help me on these questions?

1. A ball falls from rest from a height of 490m.
    a. How long does is remain in the air?
    b. If the ball has a horizontal veolcity of 200m/s when it begins to fall, what horizontal displacement will it have?

2. A bridge is 176.4m above a river. If a lead weighted fishing line is thrown from the bridge with a horizontal velocity of 22.0m/s, how far has it moved horizontally when it hits the water?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure, could you post some of your thoughts/work on this?
    In particular, what formulas do you think is appropriate here, or why are you unsure about their use?

4. Jan 14, 2005 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dang, that's one high bridge. What's he doing fishing off of that? (Royal Gorge would be worse - not only is it 320 m high, the distance it has moved horizontally is going to be pretty irrelevant when it hits the rapids down at the bottom of gorge. Better fish off the downstream side.)

But, yeah, you should at least toss out some ideas for us to make fun of (I mean, refine and assist you with). :rofl:

5. Jan 14, 2005 #4
    I really don't have any idea, my physics teacher just gives out problems for homework, without even teaching. Can you anyone tell what topic these problems are covered on, that way I might get an idea.

6. Jan 14, 2005 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Look for the section that discusses equations of motion for a constant acceleration.

7. Jan 14, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And Newton's second law...You'll need it right at the very beginning.

Daniel.

8. Jan 14, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm sorry, I don't believe you.
    He does actually open his mouth from time time, doesn't he?
    But have you paid any attention to what he said, or at least read in your textbook occasionally?

9. Jan 14, 2005 #8
    Actually, no one has an A in that class. Since he is also an AP teacher, he expects us to know, but we're only actually in honors. He just gives out these labs and problems, then after every week, we get a test.

10. Jan 14, 2005 #9
    It's ok if no one can or wants to help coz they don't believe, it's just homework, he doesn't care about it anyway, all he cares about are the tests. I just wanted to understand for the next test.

11. Jan 14, 2005 #10
    Hint: what can you say about the initial and final conditions for the following properties:

position (relative to some defined coordinates)
    velocity
    acceleration
    time

create a list of those values for the initial AND final conditions (anything you don't know put a ? ). You'll then need to solve for the unknowns using your kinematics equations

12. Jan 14, 2005 #11

Curious3141

Homework Helper

OK, if your teacher is useless (your opinion) and you don't have a book, don't despair, the Internet can save you. Read this from start to end to get the basic knowledge you need. The third page after that link (press "NEXT") will teach you about free-fall problems, but I'd suggest you read it all. Take another crack at the problem after you've learnt something and post your working here. You have to take some effort before you get any help.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  13. Jan 15, 2005 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

1) Do you know what "position" is, and how it is related to "acceleration"?
    2) What does it mean when we say that the acceleration is constant?
    3) Have you heard about Newton's laws of motion?

Do not even try to imply that you haven't even got a textbook where such stuff is described.

14. Jan 15, 2005 #13
    OK, first off, state for us Newton's Laws of Motion.

Second, look in your book for the chapter(s) on projectile motion. Copy down every equation in that chapter and post them here.

If by that point you still cannot figure out the problem (doing the above will give some some pretty BIG clues), then I am sure someone will give you more hints.

If we just gave it to you, you still wouldnt retain it for the test you speak of. You need to do it. Only way to learn....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?