How long does it take a Capacitor to charge to 80% of its final value?

In summary, Mark is trying to find the limit of the voltage across the capacitor as time goes to infinity. He solves the equation numerically or graphically and gets a value for t which is 0.9047 seconds.
MarkH748

Homework Statement

I have a a circuit with an inductor, a resistor and a capacitor in series. I have analyzed the circuit and gotten an equation for the voltage across the capacitor to be.

25gf0wm.jpg

Homework Equations

Vc(t) = 10 + (20/3)e^-5t - (50/3)e^-2t

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume its something to do with time constants but there isn't any that give me 80% is there? Also my electronics isn't that great so I don't know how to deal with the inductor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the limit of Vc when tends to infinity? You need to determine the time t when Vc is 80 percent of this value. You can solve the equation only numerically, but the result will be close to 0.95 s.

ehild

I'm still unsure. Do I say @ t = infinity, Vc = 10 - 700I ? I don't have a vlue for I though. Do I need one? I'd also be interested to know how you estimated 0.95s. Could I write in an exam, "By observation, t = 0.95s" ? or would that be meaningless?

Vc(t) = 10 + (20/3)e^-5t - (50/3)e^-2t

This is the equation which gives the voltage of the capacitor as function of time. I do not know if you have learned about differential equations or not, but it is the solution of the circuit equation - a second order differential equation for the charge on the capacitor.

Now you have no other task, find the limit of the Vc(t) function when the time goes to infinity. What happens then with the exponential functions?

You can solve an equation numerically by trying different values, or with some kind of iteration. You can also solve it graphically: Plot it out.

ehild

I think I understand now. When t -> infinity, Vc = 10 V (this is correct?). So I need to find a value for t for when Vc is 8 volts using one of the methods you mentioned?

edit: this gives me t = 3.6188.

Last edited:
Yes, you can find t when Vc is 8 V. But your t is too big. Try to plug in. How did you get it?

ehild

Ah, I put V equal to 2 volts by accident. Putting it equal to 8 gives me t = 0.9047 s. Thanks for your help.

You are welcome.

ehild

1. How is the charging time of a capacitor calculated?

The charging time of a capacitor is calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the charging time in seconds, R is the resistance of the circuit in ohms, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor in farads.

2. What affects the charging time of a capacitor?

The charging time of a capacitor is affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the resistance of the circuit, and the voltage of the power source. A higher capacitance or lower resistance will result in a longer charging time, while a higher voltage will result in a shorter charging time.

3. Can the charging time of a capacitor be reduced?

Yes, the charging time of a capacitor can be reduced by using a larger capacitance or a lower resistance in the circuit. Additionally, using a higher voltage power source can also decrease the charging time.

4. How long does it take a capacitor to charge to 80% of its final value?

The charging time for a capacitor to reach 80% of its final value is approximately 3 time constants. This means that it takes about 3 times the charging time calculated using the t = RC formula to reach 80% of the final value.

5. Is there a maximum charging time for a capacitor?

No, there is no maximum charging time for a capacitor. However, as the capacitor charges, the current flowing through it decreases, resulting in a slower charging rate. Eventually, the capacitor will charge to its full capacity, but there is no set time for this to occur.