How Long Does It Take for a Police Officer to Overtake a Motorist?

In summary: You need to find the time when their positions are equal; that implies they've traveled the same distance.In summary, the motorist is traveling at a constant speed of 15.0m/s on a straight road. The police officer starts to accelerate at 2.00m/s^2 to overtake the motorist and it takes 12.1 seconds for the officer to reach the motorist. The total displacement as he overtakes the motorist is 225 meters.
UrbanXrisis
A motorist drives along a straight road at a constant speed of 15.0m/s. Just as she passes a parked motocycle police officer, the officer starts to accelerate at 2.00m/s^2 to overtake her. Assuming the officer maintains this acceleration, (a) determine the time it takes the police officer to reach the motorist. Also find (b) the total displacement as he overtakes the motorist.

Here's what I did:

Vf=Vi+at
15=0+2t
t=7.5s

d=vt
d=15*7.5
d=112.5

so I did a graph of:
y=2x^2
and
y=15x+112.5

I found when 2x^2=15x+112.5 to be
x=12.1
y=294.5

So, the time it took is 12.1s and the displacement is 294.5m

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
That is not correct. This is how I did it:

Distance traveled by motorist = v*t = 15*t
Distance traveled by cop = .5*a*t^2 = .5*2*t^2 = t^2

At what time will they have traveled the same distance?

15*t = t^2
15 = t

What is the displacement?

d = v*t = 15*15 = 225

The reason why I did the graph of 2x^2=15x+112.5 is because when I did the graph of 2x^2=15x, it gave me x=7.5 and y=112.5...notice...

Vf=Vi+at
15=0+2t
t=7.5s Time it takes the police to catch up to the motorcycle

d=vt
d=15*7.5
d=112.5 distance travled by the motorcycle

They were the same so I thought that If I added the inital distance of 112.5 meters to the 15x (constant speed of the motorist) then I would have the motorist starting 112.5 meters before the police accelerated, hence 2x^2=15x+112.5

I thougth I would have gotten the correct answer for this question. Were did I go wrong?

What you did wrong, is to find the time when their velocities are equal; but that doesn't imply they've traveled the same distance.

Related to How Long Does It Take for a Police Officer to Overtake a Motorist?

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2). It can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over an interval of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. This means that average acceleration is calculated using the initial and final velocities, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the velocity at a single point in time.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion in several ways. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will cause the object to speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, it will cause the object to slow down. Additionally, a change in direction of acceleration can cause the object to change its direction of motion.

What factors can affect an object's acceleration?

The factors that can affect an object's acceleration include the object's mass, the force applied to the object, and any resistive forces such as friction. Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force applied to the object and inversely proportional to its mass.

How is acceleration related to velocity and displacement?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and velocity is the rate of change of displacement. This means that acceleration is related to both velocity and displacement, and changes in acceleration can cause changes in both velocity and displacement.