How long does it take for the pedestrian to reach the front of the vehicle?

In summary, the problem is to calculate the amount of time it takes for a pedestrian to travel 4 feet across the hood of a vehicle while the vehicle is decelerating at a coefficient of friction of 0.88 and the pedestrian is decelerating at a coefficient of friction of 0.3. The pedestrian and vehicle initially have a common velocity, and the time can be calculated by taking into account the negative acceleration of the vehicle and the drag coefficient of the pedestrian. The final time may be longer than the initial 0.165 seconds due to the added complexity of the problem.
caseys
This physics problems has me stumped...a vehicle is braking at the time of a collision with a pedestrian. The vehicle is decelerating on a coefficient of friction (cof) of a 0.88. The vehicle and pedestrian reach a common velocity at the windshield of 35 fps. The pedestrian decelerates across the engine hood of the vehicle for a distance of 4 feet on a cof of 0.3

What I am trying to figure out is the amount of time for the pedestrian to exit the front of the vehicle along with the distance that the vehicle traveled during this time.

If the vehicle was not moving the pedestrian would travel 4 feet with a cof of .3 in 0.165 seconds. But with the vehicle moving in the same direction as the pedestrian but with a higher cof of 0.88 this makes the problem more complex.

It is my belief that the time for the pedestrian to travel across the hood would be higher than 0.165 seconds but can not get my brain in gear to figure out the problem.

Any helps or ideas are appreciated.

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a rather gruesome problem!

I think the way to approach is recognize that the hood is exerting a force on the pedestrian equal to the frictional force (coefficient times weight). Then you just have to account for the motion of the car. I would approximate that the motion of the car is affected very little by the pedestrian. Of course you COULD include that as well (momentum conservation) but you certainly know your requirements better than I do!

I think you must keep in mind that the beginning of the problem, the pedestrian and the vehicle have a common velocity. If you take this velocity as zero, you can then calculate the negative acceleration of the car and determine how long it would take the pedestrian (at that rate of acceleration) to travel 4 feet to the front end of the hood, if the pedestrian and a drag coefficient of zero.

After that, you can factor in the pedestrian's drag coefficient and subtract that from his rate of acceleration towards the nose of the car.

Related to How long does it take for the pedestrian to reach the front of the vehicle?

1. What are the common causes of car vs pedestrian collisions?

The most common causes of car vs pedestrian collisions include distracted driving, speeding, failure to yield to pedestrians, and impaired driving.

2. How can we prevent car vs pedestrian collisions?

Some ways to prevent car vs pedestrian collisions include educating drivers and pedestrians about traffic laws and safety measures, improving infrastructure such as crosswalks and sidewalks, and implementing stricter traffic enforcement.

3. What are the most common injuries sustained by pedestrians in car collisions?

The most common injuries sustained by pedestrians in car collisions include fractures, head injuries, and lacerations. In severe cases, pedestrians may also suffer from spinal cord injuries, internal organ damage, and even death.

4. Are there any specific groups of pedestrians that are more at risk for car collisions?

Children, older adults, and individuals with disabilities are at a higher risk for car collisions due to their slower reaction time and limited mobility. Homeless individuals and individuals under the influence of drugs or alcohol are also at a higher risk.

5. What are some legal implications of a car vs pedestrian collision?

In cases where the driver is at fault, they may face charges such as reckless driving, vehicular manslaughter, or hit and run. The pedestrian may also have grounds to file a personal injury lawsuit to seek compensation for their injuries and damages.