How many clock pulses are needed for an 8 bit ADC's mid-signed range?

• Thread starter BIGEYE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Adc Bit
In summary: they are asynchronous and take 1 clock cycle per conversion, no matter how many bits are being converted.
BIGEYE
Missed some class notes due to being sick. Anyway have a tutorial question I
need some help with as I missed out on the subject.
For an 8 bit ADC, how many clock pulses are required for an exact mid-signed
range.
I think 4, appreciate if someone can advise.

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
8 bit = 2^8 = 256
i don't know what clock pulses. but if its 8 bit unsigned it is 256. if its signed then it becomes 128
ie: 1 111 1111 -- > +
0 111 1111 -- > -
typically last bit/MSB to indicate polarity. I may be wrong

thanks

thanks for that

edmondng said:
8 bit = 2^8 = 256
i don't know what clock pulses. but if its 8 bit unsigned it is 256. if its signed then it becomes 128
ie: 1 111 1111 -- > +
0 111 1111 -- > -
typically last bit/MSB to indicate polarity. I may be wrong

Oh I don't think i did something like this but.

If its Signed :
and Minus ..then the MSB bit 7 is a 1. Indicating - is on right?
Then again it could be a Two's Compliment or a Sign and Magnitude.
Unsigned
+128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2s compliment
-128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Sign and Mag
-/+ 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
I don't think edmongd is right. My opinion.
Although the 8 bit indicating 256 location is correct.

Clock pulses are orginating from the System clock diagrammatically speaking on the outside of the cpu into the Control Unit of the CPU or Inside the Control Unit.
They send clock cycles of 1-0-1 into the cpu something like that..

BIGEYE said:
Missed some class notes due to being sick. Anyway have a tutorial question I
need some help with as I missed out on the subject.
For an 8 bit ADC, how many clock pulses are required for an exact mid-signed
range.
I think 4, appreciate if someone can advise.

TIA

What is an ADC? Clock pulses come in cycles of 1 0 1 if I'm not mistaken but probably am.
mid-signed range? do you mean sign and magnitude ? boq.

Isn't a clock pulse 1/0 ?
Which then becomes a clock pulse cycle of 101 or 010 ermm ******

Wheres the Expert whos doing a Degree in Computing...lol
I've only done it till advanced!

It depends on what kind of ADC.

Pretty much all ADC's today are the flash type, which means it is instantaneous (asynchronous)--zero clock cycles. However, the fact that the question implies there are clock cycles suggests its either a counter (nobody makes those--they're more for teaching first-years the basic idea of ADC) or a successive approximation. So from the context it looks like we are to assume its a successive approximation ADC. A SA ADC always takes as many clock cycles as the number of bits. So it takes eight clock cycles no matter what. But then, since we're having to make presumptions because the question is ambiguous, I'm wondering why the question would imply the clocks are related to the input voltage--which, as I said, is not the case with a successive approximation ADC.

There are also hybrid ADCs, which might, for example, make every pair of bits a flash-type, and successively approximate through each pair--essentially its a base-four ADC instead of a base-two ADC.

Last edited:
fleem said:
It depends on what kind of ADC.
yup.
Pretty much all ADC's today are the flash type,
certainly all 8-bit A/D converters today are flash. but i might think that most A/D converters today are what they put on sound cards and are almost certainly of the "sigma-delta" type. sometimes called a "1-bit converter".

Related to How many clock pulses are needed for an 8 bit ADC's mid-signed range?

1. What is an 8-bit ADC?

An 8-bit ADC, or analog-to-digital converter, is a device that converts analog signals, such as voltage or current, into digital signals with a resolution of 8 bits. This means that the output of the ADC can represent 256 different values.

2. What is the purpose of an 8-bit ADC?

The purpose of an 8-bit ADC is to digitize analog signals, which are continuous in nature, so that they can be processed and analyzed by digital systems. It is commonly used in various electronic devices, such as sensors, data acquisition systems, and communication systems.

3. How does an 8-bit ADC work?

An 8-bit ADC works by taking an analog input signal and converting it into a series of binary digits, or bits, using a process called quantization. The ADC compares the input signal to a reference voltage and assigns a binary value to each step of the reference voltage. These binary values are then combined to create the digital output.

4. What are the advantages of using an 8-bit ADC?

An 8-bit ADC is cost-effective, easy to implement, and has a relatively fast conversion speed. It also provides a good balance between resolution and cost, making it suitable for many applications where high accuracy is not necessary. Additionally, many microcontrollers have built-in 8-bit ADCs, making them readily available for use.

5. What are the limitations of an 8-bit ADC?

The main limitation of an 8-bit ADC is its lower resolution compared to higher bit ADCs. This means that it may not be suitable for applications that require very precise measurements. Additionally, an 8-bit ADC may have a limited dynamic range, resulting in a loss of accuracy for signals with low amplitude. Noise and errors in the reference voltage can also affect the accuracy of the ADC's output.