Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many craft beer fans we got on this?

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    Ok so how many craft beer fans we got on this?

This morning I had an Orval and it was delicious. What beers do you guys drink when working or studying or doing neither?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    Re: Beer

whats a craft beer?

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3

turbo

Gold Member

We have a wonderful micro-brewery in the area. Oak Pond Brewery makes some fine ales and beers, including small-batch seasonal brews. You can buy it in conventional bottles, growlers, and kegs.

5. Sep 15, 2010 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I really liked the North Coast line of craft brews when I lived in Sonoma County, and it's been nice to see them expanding to other parts of the nation (I actually found a North Coast in a Boston pub as long ago as 2002). I've only visited Portland, OR once, but it was a beer lover's dream. It claimed to have the most microbreweries per capita of any city in the world and every bar/restaurant in the city seemed to be attached to one.

6. Sep 15, 2010 #5

Oh basically anything that's not massed produce to the extent bud is. Sam Adams counts.

A more thorough definition is 'Craft Beer is an American term which is also common in Canada and New Zealand and generally refers to beer that is brewed using traditional methods, without adjuncts such as rice or corn, and with an eye (or a tongue) to what's distinctive and flavorful rather than mass appeal.'

7. Sep 15, 2010 #6

Did you get a chance to try some Russian River brews.

8. Sep 15, 2010 #7

I am a craft homebrewer.

9. Sep 15, 2010 #8

turbo

Gold Member

I was too, years ago. Got my hops from beside an old barn up the road from me.

10. Sep 15, 2010 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Ciechan miodowy.

11. Sep 15, 2010 #10

Homebrewers, what was one of your fav beers you made?

And what do you drink now?

12. Sep 15, 2010 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Hmm. Honey beer. Never had one.

13. Sep 15, 2010 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This morning?

14. Sep 15, 2010 #13

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yes. Lagunitas was also brewed locally in Petaluma.

15. Sep 15, 2010 #14

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There's a dormant beer thread around GD somewhere.

I prefer Stouts and Porters. Samuel Smith's (from Tadcaster, UK) has great Stouts and Porters. In the UK, I'll drink Murphy's or Guinness Stout.

I like Belgian beers like Chimay Red.

Not too far from me (day trip) is Ommegang Brewery. They have some good stuff based on Belgian ales.

Also, if one is familiar with Stone Brewery, they have some great home brews and an exceptional list of craft beers.
    http://www.stonebrew.com/home.asp# - they have some awesome Stouts and Porters.

16. Sep 15, 2010 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spent a few days in Russian River Valley a few years ago. Don't think I drank any beer while I was there - who knew? Plenty of Pinot and Syrah, though.

Astro, I'm a sucker for the Chimay Red too!

17. Sep 15, 2010 #16

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'll have a bottle waiting for you. :wink:

If one does get to the Stone Brewery, try The Angel's Share from The Lost Abbey / Port Brewing Co. It's about $40/bottle. Very unique!

The Lost Abby has some really unusual and unique beers.

18. Sep 15, 2010 #17

The Chimays are indeed tasty beers and fun to share. I can't say I like stouts much (with the exception being coffee or espresso stouts) and hops is not really my thing too much. This pretty much leaves me in the land of tripels, golden ales, hefes and wit beers as far standard beers go.

However, I also do love goozes and sours. These always surprise people when they frist try one.

19. Sep 15, 2010 #18

I've made a fair number of darker ales; stouts, scotch ales, porters...all pretty good.

This summer I decided that I was going to brew light color ales and have made a witbier, barley wine, pale ale, just brewed a wheat beer base for a raspberry wheat. I think the pale ale is among the top of my brewed favs. Maybe it was using whole hops and dry hopping it, but it was good. Prior to I've said I never really liked hoppy beer, but I think I do now. It was not as hoppy as an IPA, but good balance. I am truly thinking fresh whole hops makes awesome beer, don't really get that from Budweiser in my opinion.

I made a mead several years ago and once it aged a few years, it was awesome. One tall glass was enough for me, 12.5+%. The barley wine I just did is ~11.5%, and I intend to let it age some. Hide it in the basement and forget about it for a while.

Since May-ish I've brewed about 40 gallons of beer, of various styles as I mentioned above, and I want to brew more. Stock up the basement for a while.

20. Sep 15, 2010 #19

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The beer I've made is terrific, if you're a big fan of raw bread dough.

21. Sep 15, 2010 #20

I sell my humble crop of barley to a micro-brewery, they make a yummy Pilsner, which they simply call Atwater Michigan Lager. Its been my beer of choice for several years now.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook