How many electrons would it take for a balloon to stick to the ceiling?

In summary, the number of electrons needed for a typical balloon to stick to a ceiling depends on the weight of the balloon and the strength of the electrostatic force. For a balloon on a wall, the friction between the balloon and the wall must counter the weight of the balloon. On a ceiling, the electrostatic force must directly counter the weight of the balloon.
youngkor

Homework Statement

How many electrons would it take for a typical balloon to stick onto a ceiling? State assumption for ceiling size or balloon size if necessary.

Homework Equations

e = 1.60 x 10 ^ -19 C
q = Ne

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that it took only one electron for a balloon to induce a slight charge of opposite polarity in the surface of the ceiling. But I do not believe I am right. Please, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

For the balloon to stick on the wall, the friction must compensate the weight of the balloon. Knowing that friction is dependent on the attraction between the wall and the balloon, you should be able to find this out.

Cheers

i still don't get it.. anyone else care to explain?

Hi there,

Let's try with a bit more details. The balloon has a weight, quite little but still:

[tex]F_g = mg[/tex]

For the balloon to hold on the wall, you must counter weight this force:

[tex]\sum \vec{F} = 0[/tex]

on the vertical axe (y):
[tex]-F_g + F_{\text{counter}} = 0[/tex]

This counteracting force is the friction on the wall created by the electrostatic interaction.

[tex]F_{\text{counter}} = \mu \cdot N[/tex]

I believe I gave more than enough information on your problem. The rest of the solution should be quite easy to find out.

Cheers

fatra2 said:
Hi there,

This counteracting force is the friction on the wall created by the electrostatic interaction.

[tex]F_{\text{counter}} = \mu \cdot N[/tex]

But the balloon should stick to the ceiling, so friction doesn't come into it, and the electrostatic
force has to counter gravity directly.

Hi there,

The problem is a bit different when you stick the balloon to the ceiling. In this case, the electrostatic force should only counter the gravity directly.

But the original question was on a wall, where only the friction of the balloon can counteract the weight.

Cheers

1. How does the number of electrons affect the stickiness of a balloon to the ceiling?

The number of electrons on a balloon does not directly affect its stickiness to the ceiling. It is the overall charge of the balloon that determines its ability to stick to the ceiling.

2. Can a balloon with too many electrons cause damage to the ceiling?

No, a balloon with too many electrons will not cause damage to the ceiling. The amount of charge on the balloon is not strong enough to cause damage to most surfaces.

3. What is the minimum number of electrons needed for a balloon to stick to the ceiling?

The minimum number of electrons needed for a balloon to stick to the ceiling depends on the material of the balloon and the ceiling. Generally, it only takes a small amount of charge for a balloon to stick to most surfaces.

4. Could other factors besides electrons affect a balloon's stickiness to the ceiling?

Yes, other factors such as the material of the balloon, the material of the ceiling, and the humidity in the room can also affect a balloon's stickiness to the ceiling.

5. Is it safe to experiment with different numbers of electrons on a balloon and sticking it to the ceiling?

Yes, it is safe to experiment with different numbers of electrons on a balloon and sticking it to the ceiling. However, it is important to be cautious and follow proper safety precautions while handling static electricity.