How many ion-pairs are there in normal conditions in the air?

In summary, the conversation discusses the number of ion-pairs present in normal atmospheric conditions and the variables that can affect this number. After considering different factors, a rough estimation of 1,000 ions per cubic centimeter is given, with the possibility of a higher number from a weak source. However, due to the numerous variables involved, the only way to determine an accurate number is through measurement.
ORF
Hello,

I don't know how to compute that number, but probably is a kind of reference value...

Q: How many ion-pairs are there in normal conditions* in the air?

(This is not homework, it is just out of curiosity.)

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
ORF
* 1 atm, 300K.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've forgotten to mention humidity, e.g. Lenard effect in rain, snow, wind, clouds, height, ##O_3##, daytime, location on earth, radioactivity, and condensation germs, esp. dust, plus a few extraterrestrial effects. Would take a while to find figures of exactly your conditions, but is basically possible. It seems that this is a whole branch in meteorology.

So the question is: What do you want to hear? Approximately 5 new pairs per second and cubic centimeter due to cosmic radiation? Under consideration of the recombination mechanism, this results in circa 1,800 ions per cubic centimeter.
(Found in a book "Encyclopedia of Medical Radiology".)

Likes mfb
Hello,

I would be interested in a rough estimation, the order of magnitude, rather than an exact reference number.

The conditions would be:
  • humidity: 90%
  • no rain/snow/no clouds,
  • no wind (inside lab),
  • at sea level,
  • north hemisphere,
  • normal background ~100 nSv/h
  • little of dust

Well, you mention radioactivity: I would like to know if a home-made electroscope can be discharged by a low specific-activity source ( granite, KCl ).

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
ORF

I think the only way to find out is to measure it. If this figure in the book ##1,800 \,\,ions / cm^-3## is correct for the usual atmosphere, then it shouldn't be too different in a lab, where there might be less natural sources, but maybe more artificial. AFAIK has e.g. concrete a higher radioactivity than normal. So whether 2,000 ions are sufficient to create a discharge effect is hard to tell without measurements. I've come across the following experiment:
upload_2018-4-14_19-16-20.png

of average charges in a room (per day).
However, electrical heating and cooling systems have a strong effect of several magnitudes difference. So my conclusion from reading a bit about the topic is, that there are far too many unknown variables to give a qualified answer. I think measurement is the only valid answer here.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-14_19-16-20.png
    upload_2018-4-14_19-16-20.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 324
Hello,

if the order of magnitude is 1e3 ions/cm3, it is fine: I expect a production of 1e6 ions/cm3/s (upper limit) from a weak source.

Regards,
ORF

ORF said:
Hello,

if the order of magnitude is 1e3 ions/cm3, it is fine: I expect a production of 1e6 ions/cm3/s (upper limit) from a weak source.

Regards,
ORF
For an electrical heater I've read something about 500,000 /cm^3, which is close to your estimation. Smoke and particulates are other sources. That's why I said that it depends on really many variables. I even found old physical papers (1903, not English) where they investigated the influence on electrical experiments.

1. How are ion-pairs formed in the air?

Ion-pairs in the air are formed through a process called ionization, where molecules in the air are split into positively charged ions and negatively charged electrons.

2. What is the average number of ion-pairs in normal air conditions?

In normal air conditions, the average number of ion-pairs is around 300 ion-pairs per cubic centimeter of air. This number can vary depending on factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity.

3. How do ion-pairs affect the air we breathe?

Ion-pairs in the air can have both positive and negative effects on our health. They can help to purify the air by neutralizing pollutants and allergens, but they can also cause respiratory irritation in high concentrations.

4. Can we measure the number of ion-pairs in the air?

Yes, there are instruments such as ion counters that can measure the number of ion-pairs in the air. These devices use electric fields to detect and count the charged particles in the air.

5. What factors can affect the number of ion-pairs in the air?

The number of ion-pairs in the air can be influenced by various factors, such as natural sources like cosmic rays and radon gas, human activities like industrial processes and vehicle emissions, and weather conditions like lightning and storms.