How many ion-pairs are there in normal conditions in the air?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
ORF
Messages
169
Reaction score
19
Hello,

I don't know how to compute that number, but probably is a kind of reference value...

Q: How many ion-pairs are there in normal conditions* in the air?

(This is not homework, it is just out of curiosity.)

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
ORF
* 1 atm, 300K.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You've forgotten to mention humidity, e.g. Lenard effect in rain, snow, wind, clouds, height, ##O_3##, daytime, location on earth, radioactivity, and condensation germs, esp. dust, plus a few extraterrestrial effects. Would take a while to find figures of exactly your conditions, but is basically possible. It seems that this is a whole branch in meteorology.

So the question is: What do you want to hear? Approximately 5 new pairs per second and cubic centimeter due to cosmic radiation? Under consideration of the recombination mechanism, this results in circa 1,800 ions per cubic centimeter.
(Found in a book "Encyclopedia of Medical Radiology".)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mfb
Hello,

I would be interested in a rough estimation, the order of magnitude, rather than an exact reference number.

The conditions would be:
  • humidity: 90%
  • no rain/snow/no clouds,
  • no wind (inside lab),
  • at sea level,
  • north hemisphere,
  • normal background ~100 nSv/h
  • little of dust

Well, you mention radioactivity: I would like to know if a home-made electroscope can be discharged by a low specific-activity source ( granite, KCl ).

Thank you for your time.

Regards,
ORF
 
I think the only way to find out is to measure it. If this figure in the book ##1,800 \,\,ions / cm^-3## is correct for the usual atmosphere, then it shouldn't be too different in a lab, where there might be less natural sources, but maybe more artificial. AFAIK has e.g. concrete a higher radioactivity than normal. So whether 2,000 ions are sufficient to create a discharge effect is hard to tell without measurements. I've come across the following experiment:
upload_2018-4-14_19-16-20.png

of average charges in a room (per day).
However, electrical heating and cooling systems have a strong effect of several magnitudes difference. So my conclusion from reading a bit about the topic is, that there are far too many unknown variables to give a qualified answer. I think measurement is the only valid answer here.
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-4-14_19-16-20.png
    upload_2018-4-14_19-16-20.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 424
Hello,

if the order of magnitude is 1e3 ions/cm3, it is fine: I expect a production of 1e6 ions/cm3/s (upper limit) from a weak source.

Regards,
ORF
 
ORF said:
Hello,

if the order of magnitude is 1e3 ions/cm3, it is fine: I expect a production of 1e6 ions/cm3/s (upper limit) from a weak source.

Regards,
ORF
For an electrical heater I've read something about 500,000 /cm^3, which is close to your estimation. Smoke and particulates are other sources. That's why I said that it depends on really many variables. I even found old physical papers (1903, not English) where they investigated the influence on electrical experiments.