How many ways to rearrange distinct objects (factorial)

In summary, the problem is to find a formula to find the number of sets of exactly k integers, each chosen from 1, ... , n. The solution says you need to divide by k! but don't understand why.
zeion

Homework Statement

Hello.
This is the gist of the question:

I have 0 < k < n and I need a formula to show the number of sets of exactly k integers, each chosen from 1, ... , n.

Homework Equations

n! is the number of distinct ways to rearrange n objects into n slots.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I need to fit n different objects into k slots. So there are more objects to choose from than slots. So the number of distinct ways to fit n objects into k slots is given by n(n-1) ... (n-k+1).

The solution says I have to divide by k! but I don't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi zeion! :smile:

suppose you want the number of ways of choosing three letters from the 7 letters A B C D E F G …

you're saying there's 7 ways of choosing the first one, 6 of the second, then 5 of the third, total 7*6*5

but for example your 7*6*5 ways include ABC BCA CAB CBA BAC and ACB, which are all the same choice

so you have to divide by the number of ways of arranging k items, ie k!, to give the famous binomial formula n!/k!(n-k)! :wink:

This is very confusing..
Why does k! equal the number of ways that are repeated?

hi zeion! :wink:

(just got up :zzz: …)

because if for example k = 5, then one of the sets is ABCDE

but your method gives ACBDE ADBCE etc also, and that would be multiple-counting (counting the same set over and over again)

so you have to divide by the number of ways of rearranging ABCDE …

that's 5 ways for the first letter, 4 for the second, etc, = 5! :smile:

zeion said:
This is very confusing..
Why does k! equal the number of ways that are repeated?
You need to know the "fundamental principle of counting":
If there are m way one thing can happen and n ways another thing can happen (and they happen "independently") there there are mn (m times n) ways both can happen.

For example, if I have 4 shirts and 3 pairs of pants, there are 3(4)= 12 ways to choose one shirt and one pair of pants to wear ("independently" here meaning no shirt does clashes with any of the pants!).

If I have to choose one letter from A, B, C to write and one letter from P, Q to follow it, there are 3(2)= 6 ways: AP, AQ, BP, BQ, CP, and CQ.

If I have to write all 5 letters A, B, C, D, E, in some order, there are 5 letters to choose to go first. After I have chosen that, there are 4 letters left so there are 4 choices. That means there are 5(4)= 20 choices for the first two letters. After I have chosen those, there are 3 letters left to pick for the third letter. There are 3 ways of doing that so there are 5(4)(3)= (20)(3)= 60 ways of choosing the first 3 letters. That leaves 2 choices for the
fourth letters so 5(4)(3)(2)= (60)(2)= 120 choices for the first four letters. Finally, there is only one letter to "pick" for the fifth letter so there are 5(4)(3)(2)(1)= 5!= 120 ways to order five letters (or five of anything).

Frankly, I am amazed that you were given a problem like this with first having learned that "the number of ways to arrange n distinct things is n!".

the answer is
[tex]n \choose k[/tex]

should be in your book.

Outlined said:
the answer is
[tex]n \choose k[/tex]

should be in your book.

Thanks that was so helpful.

Related to How many ways to rearrange distinct objects (factorial)

What is factorial?

Factorial is a mathematical operation denoted by an exclamation mark (!) that is used to calculate the number of ways to rearrange distinct objects in a specific order. It is the product of all the positive integers from 1 up to a given number, also known as the factorial number.

What is the formula for calculating factorial?

The formula for calculating factorial is n! = n x (n-1) x (n-2) x ... x 1, where n is the given number of distinct objects. For example, if we have 4 distinct objects, the formula would be 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24.

How many ways can you rearrange 5 distinct objects?

There are 5! = 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120 ways to rearrange 5 distinct objects in a specific order.

Is it possible to rearrange objects without repetition?

No, it is not possible to rearrange objects without repetition because factorial takes into account the order of the objects. If we have 3 distinct objects, there are 3! = 3 x 2 x 1 = 6 ways to arrange them, but if we do not consider the order, there would only be 3 ways.

How is factorial used in real life?

Factorial is used in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to calculate the probability of specific events, the number of possible outcomes in a game, and the number of ways to arrange items in a specific order. It is also used in combinatorics, a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arrangements of objects.