How much current does a 36 volt golf cart battery draw?

In summary: The squirrel cage fan can be powered by a 36 volt Leeson motor or a 5.5 hp Northern Tools motor.In summary, a 36 volt battery can supply up to 8 to 9 horsepower when under a full load.
Keith H
Hello forum.

How much current does a 36 volt battery draw under a full load? (Scratch the word battery in this first sentence and replace it with motor). I know I could find it under manufacturers web sites, but I cannot seem to figure it out quickly.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Keith H said:
Hello forum.

How much current does a 36 volt battery draw under a full load? I know I could find it under manufacturers web sites, but I cannot seem to figure it out quickly.
I don't have the answer but I advise you that batteries don't "draw" current, they supply current, so I'm assuming you mean what is the maximum current can it supply.

Last edited:
I guess that depends on the battery. You won't get the current of a 36V golf cart battery out of 54 AAAs.

fresh_42 said:
I guess that depends on the battery. You won't get the current of a 36V golf cart battery out of 54 AAAs.
Agreed, but my nitpicker side can't help but point out that actually, yes you will, if the load is very small. You need to say that the max current out of 54AAAs isn't likely to equal the max current out of a golf cart battery. There is also the question of amp-hours which can be quite relevant to some questions but has not been clarified by the OP regarding his question.

Likes fresh_42
phinds said:
Agreed, but my nitpicker side can't help ...
You're quite persistent on this, aren't you? :wink:

How much current would the motor use when under a full load in a Golf Cart?

fresh_42 said:
You're quite persistent on this, aren't you? :wink:
Oh, yeah. Nitpicking is one of my better qualities. I don't even talk about the rest. :smile:

I guess I am wording it wrong. How much current is being used by a golf cart motor when the cart is loaded with four, fat golfers and all their stuff?

The current drawn by the motor is not a fixed amount that can be derived mathematically.
It is one of many parameters that would be taken into account by the designers of the golf cart, and not all golf carts are identical designs.
Some designs will be relatively lightweight machines not needing a very heavy duty motor, others easily capable of moving heavier loads.
So your question is a bit like asking how much fuel does it take to drive a car between two points A and B.
It depends on a lot of factors, but the main one is the design of the car and in particular the capacity of it's engine.

Keith H said:
How much current would the motor use when under a full load in a Golf Cart?

They are rated by power, not current. 5.5 hp, or 4 kW is typical.

I am trying to see how feasible it would be to convert a swamp cooler to run the squirrel cage fan using batteries with solar panels. I just discovered that a 36 volt 600 watt motor-scooter motor may just work.

Golf Cart motors can be 36 volt, but are 8 to 9 horsepower. My golf cart runs for 10 or more hours on six 6 volt batteries and three 40 watt 12 volt panels. I am not sure where all this is taking me, but I know that if I keep asking questions I will get it.

On Northern Tools website they list a Leeson 12volt motor that draws 58 amps on a full load. That would draw down my batteries far too fast.

My go-cart has a 36 volt Leeson motor. I run it for 2 1/2hours on three 12 volt 33ah batteries at full throttle.

Last edited:
If you want to power a swamp cooler start with data on the cooler.

The cooler demands a 1/2 hp motor or larger.

At what rpm?

1. How is current measured in a 36 volt golf cart battery?

Current is measured in amps (A) and is the rate at which electric charge flows through the battery. It is typically measured using a multimeter.

2. What is the typical current draw for a 36 volt golf cart battery?

The current draw for a 36 volt golf cart battery can vary depending on the specific model and usage. However, on average, it can range from 20-30 amps.

3. How does the voltage affect the current draw in a 36 volt golf cart battery?

The voltage and current draw in a 36 volt golf cart battery are directly related. As the voltage increases, the current draw also increases. This is because the higher voltage allows for more power to be delivered to the motor.

4. What factors can affect the current draw in a 36 volt golf cart battery?

The current draw in a 36 volt golf cart battery can be affected by several factors such as the terrain, weight of passengers and cargo, tire pressure, and the age and condition of the battery.

5. How can I calculate the total current draw for my 36 volt golf cart battery?

To calculate the total current draw, you will need to know the amperage of each individual component in the golf cart (such as lights, motor, etc.) and add them together. You can also measure the total current draw using a multimeter while the cart is in use.