How Much Power Does a Climbing Person Develop?

In summary: He first calculates the time it takes to climb the ladder, 7.5 seconds, and then tries to calculate the work done by the person by adding the force of gravity and the force of acceleration. However, the correct way to think about this is that the force applied by the person is equal to their weight plus the mass times the acceleration. Multiplying this by the distance gives the work done by the person, which can then be used to calculate the power developed. The final answer is 423 W, the same as the answer in the book.
petuniac
Question is.. how much power does a 45 kg person develop climbing up a vertical ladder 7.0 m high if the average acceleration is 0.25 m/s^2?

This is where I'm at... (so far anyways)

calculate t from d = vt + 1/2at^2 and get value of 7.5 s to climb ladder... but now, how do I calculate Work in order to sub into P=W/t equation...

I have tried this... W = (Fg + Fa)*d = [(45)(9.81) + (45)(0.25)]*7 = 3168.9

and then P= W/t = 3168.9/7.5 = 423 W

Answer in book is 423 W but I am confused as to why I am right.. don't Fg and Fa act in opposite directions on the FBD??

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
petuniac said:
Question is.. how much power does a 45 kg person develop climbing up a vertical ladder 7.0 m high if the average acceleration is 0.25 m/s^2?

This is where I'm at... (so far anyways)

calculate t from d = vt + 1/2at^2 and get value of 7.5 s to climb ladder... but now, how do I calculate Work in order to sub into P=W/t equation...

I have tried this... W = (Fg + Fa)*d = [(45)(9.81) + (45)(0.25)]*7 = 3168.9

and then P= W/t = 3168.9/7.5 = 423 W

Answer in book is 423 W but I am confused as to why I am right.. don't Fg and Fa act in opposite directions on the FBD??

Any help is appreciated

The correct way to think about this is [itex] F_{person} - m g = m a_y [/itex] (where I am working in the y direction). So the force applied by the person is [itex] F_{person} = mg + m a_y [/itex] (makes sense, the person must apply a larger force than mg in order to accelerate upward). Now you multiply this by the distance to get the work done by the person.

Patrick

!

I can confirm that your calculations and approach are correct. The formula you have used, W = (Fg + Fa)*d, takes into account both the force of gravity (Fg) and the force applied by the person (Fa) while climbing the ladder. Both of these forces act in the same direction, so they can be added together.

The reason you may be confused about the direction of the forces is because in this case, we are only concerned with the magnitude of the forces, not their direction. The formula for power, P = W/t, also only considers the magnitude of the work done (W) and the time it takes (t), not the direction of the forces.

In summary, your calculations and reasoning are correct, and the answer of 423 W is the accurate amount of power that a 45 kg person would develop while climbing a 7.0 m ladder with an average acceleration of 0.25 m/s^2. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. Keep up the good work in your scientific calculations!

Related to How Much Power Does a Climbing Person Develop?

1. What is the difference between energy and power?

Energy is the ability to do work, while power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. In simpler terms, energy is the capacity to do something, while power is how fast that capacity is used up or transferred to do the actual work.

2. How do we generate energy?

Energy can be generated through various methods such as burning fossil fuels, using renewable sources like wind and solar, or through nuclear reactions. The specific method used depends on the type of energy needed and the availability of resources.

3. What are the units of measurement for energy and power?

The standard unit for energy is joules (J), while power is measured in watts (W). Other commonly used units for energy include calories and kilowatt-hours, while horsepower is a common unit for power.

4. How is energy and power related to our everyday lives?

Energy and power play a crucial role in our daily activities, from powering our homes and transportation to fueling industries and technology. Our use of energy and power can also have an impact on the environment and climate change.

5. What is the difference between renewable and non-renewable energy sources?

Renewable energy sources can be replenished naturally and sustainably, such as wind, solar, and hydro power. Non-renewable energy sources, on the other hand, are finite and will eventually run out, such as fossil fuels like coal, oil, and natural gas.