How much sand is needed to slow the rotation of a disk?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
sskc248
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a disk of radius 40 cm is rotating about an axis through its centre. the moment the inertia of the disk is 0.015 kg m^2 and it is turning at 3 rev/s. sand falls on the disk at a distance of 20 cm from the axis and builds a 20 cm radius sand ring on the disc. How much sand must fall on the disc to slow the speed of revolution to 2 rev/s? Use the law of conversation of angular momentum


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Angular Momentum L=mvr I know the 40 cm
Moment of Inertia I=mr^2 so mass = .375
How do I approach this problem in what way? what do the rev/s have to do with this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the moment of inertia of a disk isn't I=mr2. that would be the case if all the mass of the disk was at the radius r. But you don't need to calculate the disk mass. Calculate the angular momentum of the disk.