How much should you spend on an engagement ring?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ring
In summary: I ask says that you should spend 2 months salary, but most would prefer 3. To me it seems silly for couples to gain so much debt for a piece of jewelry. Wouldn't it be better to buy a smaller ring and use the rest of the money for a down payment on a house or to pay off a high interest loan or credit card debt?If money is the important thing, then you should look at how long it takes to get the spent capital creating savings in the deal. Defining it is a bit hard, but let's see. Lets assume that one successful bar night can cost you about $100 (average counted from all bar nights). If you make
Bailee said:
He was extravagant spending $12,000

Do you have any idea of how many hookers I could get for that amount, and without the hassle of having a live-in wife?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most I'd spend for an engagement ring? 25 cents!

FireSky86 said:
The most I'd spend for an engagement ring? 25 cents!

Your (future) fiance is a very lucky lady!

cristo said:
Your (future) fiance is a very lucky lady!

I am not going to get married.

No thanks.

Bailee said:
My fiance makes a decent living and bought my Princess Cut Engagement Ring outright. It is wonderful and just my style. He was extravagant spending $12,000, but hey, I am worth it and I love it. It is totally me, which is why I like it. No one has a ring like mine It is not about the size of the diamond, rather that he picked something out that is unique and so perfect for my style.

I had been engaged previously when I was younger and my ex-fiance spent about $5000 and it was a lovely 1ct. It was my dream ring back then.

Don't stress yourself. Find out her style, what she likes and get her her heart's desire. You will never regret it.

I have been engaged 6 months and still cannot stop staring at my ring. It is memorizing.

You sure are one lucky lady. If only I can get as lucky as you when my time comes :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
If only I can get as lucky as you when my time comes :biggrin:

I still have a couple of chicken rings lying around...

its an engagement ring,

I wouldn't spend that much - ask her how important it is for her to see how far in debt you go. Times are tough and may get tougher, being money wise can only be a good thing especially now.

Woman gets a 3 month salary priced ring.
Man gets a 2 day salary priced ring. Heck, just give him a ring made of tin foil.If you are going to force your husband to-be to buy a ring worth 3 months of his salary, then you shouldn't even get married. Find some old rich geezer to ripoff :p

Bailee said:
My fiance makes a decent living and bought my Princess Cut Engagement Ring outright. It is wonderful and just my style. He was extravagant spending $12,000, but hey, I am worth it and I love it. It is totally me, which is why I like it. No one has a ring like mine It is not about the size of the diamond, rather that he picked something out that is unique and so perfect for my style.

I had been engaged previously when I was younger and my ex-fiance spent about $5000 and it was a lovely 1ct. It was my dream ring back then.

Don't stress yourself. Find out her style, what she likes and get her her heart's desire. You will never regret it.

I have been engaged 6 months and still cannot stop staring at my ring. It is memorizing.

Right...thats the biggest bunch of bull I heard all day :rofl: :rofl:

ranger said:
Right...thats the biggest bunch of bull I heard all day :rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: My advice to any guy who buys a $12000 ring and his fiance claims "I'm worth it," is RUN! Consider it a severance package and a much cheaper way to be rid of her than going through with the wedding and divorce. $12000 would make a nice dent in a downpayment on a first house; why waste it on a shiny bauble that serves no function whatsoever?

Bailee said:

A commercial link in your post made me wonder if you are a spammer! :)

Moonbear said:
:rofl: My advice to any guy who buys a $12000 ring and his fiance claims "I'm worth it," is RUN! Consider it a severance package and a much cheaper way to be rid of her than going through with the wedding and divorce. $12000 would make a nice dent in a downpayment on a first house; why waste it on a shiny bauble that serves no function whatsoever?

Okay, you stole my thought. :wink:

We now have a thread 118 posts long started by
gravenewworld said:
Almost every girl I ask says that you should spend 2 months salary, but most would prefer 3.

Almost every guy I ask says that they would prefer to only spend 1 month to 6 weeks salary MAX.

To me it seems silly for couples to gain so much debt for a piece of jewelry. Wouldn't it be better to buy a smaller ring and use the rest of the money for a down payment on a house or to pay off a high interest loan or credit card debt?

and the original poster said
gravenewworld said:
Nah I wasn't actually looking for a ring for anyone, just trying to start an interesting thread. I was only looking at pawn shop/antique shops just to look at costs for future reference (plus I go to antique shops once in a while to buy furniture/decorations).

in another thread.

I thought I lost my ring today :bugeye: I have the habit of taking it off when washing my hands, so when it was missing from my finger after getting home from a dinner I thought I left it at the restaurant, after running through the house for several minutes, I found out it was just lying beneath a towel on the kitchen sink (where I had taken it off just a few minutes prior to the panic) :phew: it's a habit I should kick (or just drink a little bit less :tongue:).

Monique said:
it's a habit I should kick (or just drink a little bit less :tongue:).

:rofl: Just get ring holders to put near your sinks...at least at home.

My postdoc mentor lost countless wedding bands, to the point where one of the other faculty we all worked with closely came back with SEVERAL inexpensive gold bands when she went on a trip to India and gave them to him as a stockpile for replacements. He would do the same, take them off when washing his hands and forget them. He also took them off when scrubbing for surgery, and would forget to put them back on, and there were often hunts in the prep room for his ring, sifting through the towels headed for the laundry, looking through all the paper wrappers in the trash that came out of that room, etc. Finally, one of the grad students had the brilliant idea to give him a ring holder for a Christmas gift to put by the prep room sink. It was really funny, because everyone knew why he was getting it, but they do not seem to make ring holders that are not very feminine in design. :biggrin: His wife was very appreciative that it would reduce the number of bands they'd have to buy to replace his.

I'm not really sure why he even bothered replacing it after a while though. It's not like he was loosing them because he took them off to prowl around bars picking up women, he was loosing them at work. I suspect his wife might have wanted him to keep a ring on just so he'd remember he had a home and a wife to get him to leave the office once in a while. He's definitely a workaholic. (We worried about this when he retired last year...none of his former trainees was sure he could handle doing something other than going to work. Fortunately, a lot of universities are starting a "phased retirement" program for faculty that is intended to wean them off more slowly by having them work only half time for a year or two before fully retiring. We were also worried about his wife...would she survive actually having to put up with him being home all the time?)

My friend their is no fixed amount that you need to spend on the engagement ring. Engagement ring is very valuable for girls so they want very special engagement ring. In general also jewelry is very close to women. So You should buy a ring that reflects your feelings inspire of price.