How much work must be done to stop a 980 kg car traveling at 108 km/h?

• Thread starter TriumphDog1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Work
In summary, if you want to stop a 980 kg car traveling at 108 km/h, you first need to convert the km/h to m/s, plug the mass and velocity into the kinetic energy equation, and then find the kinetic energy.
TriumphDog1
How much work must be done to stop a 980 kg car traveling at 108 km/h?
what i did was first convert the km/h to m/s:
[tex]108 * 1000 / 3600 = 30[/tex]
then plug the mass and velocity into the kinetic energy forumula [tex]K.E. = \frac{1}{2} mv^2[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{2}980(30^2) = 441000 [/tex]
I have checked and rechecked it and i keep coming up with that answer but its wrong. Where am I going wrong or is there more to do?

Another problem i need help with is this:
At an accident scene on a level road, investigators measure a car's skid mark to be 88 m long. It was a rainy day and the coefficient of friction was estimated to be 0.46. Use these data to determine the speed of the car when the driver slammed on (and locked) the brakes.
I don't even know where to get started on this one especially without a mass, but my teacher says the mass doesn't matter.

Any help on these would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first one seems right. Are you sure the answer is correct?
For the second one, write out the equation that relates friction force with acceleration, and you should see that the mass cancels out.

What's the correct answer for the first one?
As far as I can see - you've done it right.

yea - that's what i thought, but its not somehow, i think the teacher is wrong

im still not sure what to do on the second one,
Here's what i know:
[tex]F_{F} = \mu * F_{N}[/tex] or [tex]F_{F} = \mu * 9.8m[/tex]
and [tex]P.E. = .5mv^2[/tex]
and [tex]W = Fd[/tex] or [tex]W = mad[/tex]
those are the only formulas i know of that might help with this problem but I don't know what to do with them...
i tried setting the frictional force formala equal to the potential energy forumula and came up with:
[tex] \mu * 9.8 = .5v^2[/tex]
[tex] .46 * 9.8 = .5v^2[/tex]
[tex] 4.508 = .5v^2[/tex]
[tex] 9.016 = v^2[/tex]
[tex] 3.003 = v[/tex]
that was wrong, then i noticed i didnt even use the distance provided, but I don't know what else to do?

Last edited:
[tex]
F_f = 4.5m
[/tex]

so that means ...

[tex]
F_{net} = ma - F_f
[/tex]

so...

[tex]
ma = 4.5m
[/tex]

so...

[tex]
a = 4.5
[/tex]

using

[tex]
v^2 = u^2 + 2ax
[/tex]

v = 0 - because it stops, and u - is what you are trying to find...
take a = 4.5 and x = 88, so

[tex]
u^2 = -2ax
[/tex]

and i found that

[tex]
u = 28.1
[/tex]

I am not sure if this is right though

now - that i think about it - i think MY force equation is wrong..

thanks a lot i understand now... and that site is awesome

FAQ: How much work must be done to stop a 980 kg car traveling at 108 km/h?

1. How is work defined in this scenario?

Work is defined as the amount of force applied to an object over a certain distance. In the context of stopping a car, work is done by the brakes applying a force to the wheels, causing them to slow down and ultimately stop the car.

2. What is the formula for calculating work?

The formula for calculating work is W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. In this scenario, the force is the friction between the brakes and the wheels, and the distance is the distance the car travels while braking.

3. How do you calculate the force needed to stop the car?

To calculate the force needed to stop the car, you can use the formula F = m x a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. In this case, the mass of the car is 980 kg and the final velocity is 0 km/h (since the car is stopping), so the acceleration would be (0 - 108) / t, where t is the time it takes for the car to stop.

4. What is the distance required to stop the car?

The distance required to stop the car can be calculated using the formula d = (v^2 - u^2) / 2a, where d is distance, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and a is acceleration. In this scenario, the initial velocity is 108 km/h, the final velocity is 0 km/h, and the acceleration is calculated in the previous answer. Therefore, the distance required to stop the car would be (0^2 - 108^2) / (2 x acceleration).

5. How much work is required to stop the car?

The amount of work required to stop the car can be calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance. Using the values calculated in the previous answers, you can determine the force needed to stop the car and the distance required to stop it. The work would then be the product of those two values.

Back