How to approach a simple harmonic motion problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angular frequency of a massless spring system with a spring constant of 0.50 N/m and a 0.7 kg mass attached to its end. The maximum speed of the end is given as 2.5 m/s, and the question is asked for the angular frequency. The formula for angular frequency is mentioned and it is clarified that it depends on the spring constant and mass. The correct value for the angular frequency is calculated as .845 m/s.
hughes
This is the question:

A massless spring with a spring constant of 0.50 N/m, has a mass of 0.7 kg on its end. The maximum speed of the end is 2.5 m/s. What is the angular frequency of the system?

I don't know how to approach this problem at all. I just know that omega/2pi is the frequency. But, we don't even have omega. I am so stuck and confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write an equation for the motion of the spring.

Doesn't ω depend only on spring constant, k, and mass, m, both of which you know?

i see, i forgot omega is the sqrt of k/m. thanks for the reply.

ω is equal to .845 m/s. Divide that by 2pi to get the angular frequency and you get .1345, which is incorrect.

Edit: Angular frequency (not frequency) is .845 m/s (the answer).

Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it.

Glad to help !

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement. This results in a motion that follows a sinusoidal pattern.

2. What are the key components of a simple harmonic motion problem?

The key components of a simple harmonic motion problem are the mass, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the motion. These variables can be used to calculate the period, frequency, and maximum velocity of the motion.

3. How do I determine the period of a simple harmonic motion?

The period of a simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.

4. What is the relationship between the amplitude and maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude and maximum velocity in simple harmonic motion have a direct relationship. As the amplitude increases, the maximum velocity also increases. This means that the particle will reach higher speeds at the extremes of its motion.

5. How do I approach a simple harmonic motion problem?

To approach a simple harmonic motion problem, first identify the key components mentioned above. Then, use the appropriate formulas to calculate the period, frequency, and maximum velocity. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram and label the points of interest, such as the equilibrium point, maximum displacement, and maximum velocity.