How to attach wheel to axel? and how to choose motor

In summary, the individual is looking for an axel that is over 20 inches long, supports bicycle/tricycle wheels, and has a motor that is pneumatic. The individual also wants to know how air is consumed when using this type of motor. They are considering using a tank that holds 31 scf of air and using pvc pipe to store the air.
Le Luc
I need to know how to attach a wheel to an axel, but first of all, i need an axel with a gear pre-built into it. The axel needs to be over 20 inches long (because that is the width of my vehicle) and support bicycle/tricycle wheels.

Does anyone know of such wheels and axels? (The wheels have to be thin).

The motor will be pneumatic and run off of a tank with a capacity of probably a little over 7127 inches cubed at ~100-110 psi.
I want to get a motor from here: http://psiautomation.com/model_specs.cfm?horsepower=0.75&model=DVA-003
But my main concern is the air consumption rating of 45 scfm. And my big question is how something that takes in 90psi can generate 3/4 horsepower. How does that happen?

Finally, if i can't supply enough air to the motor using a tank, could probably just put an electric generator in with the air inflator to make it move.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Le Luc said:
I need to know how to attach a wheel to an axel, but first of all, i need an axel with a gear pre-built into it. The axel needs to be over 20 inches long (because that is the width of my vehicle) and support bicycle/tricycle wheels.
An axle (not axel, which is a move in ice skating) is a shaft that can be either fixed or can rotate with the wheel. Since the drive gear will be attached to the axle, the axle will need to rotate.
You could attach a hub to the axle and bolt the wheel to the hub. The hub could be permanently attached (welded) or the end of the axle could be splined, matching internal splines in the hub, or the end of the axle could have a groove that matches a groove inside the hub. A Woodruff key would hold the hub and wheel in place. If your vehicle only needs to move in a straight line, it's OK to have both rear wheels rigidly attached to the axle. If the vehicle needs to be able to turn, you could let the non-drive wheel rotate freely on the axle.

On bicycles and many motorcycles, the drive gear is firmly attached to the rear wheel, and the axle does not revolve.

Le Luc said:
The motor will be pneumatic and run off of a tank with a capacity of probably a little over 7127 inches cubed at ~100-110 psi.
Le Luc said:
Finally, if i can't supply enough air to the motor using a tank, could probably just put an electric generator in with the air inflator to make it move.
Mechanical storage of energy is not very volume efficient or weight efficient. Chemical storage (in gasoline or a battery) is more efficient. Why are you wanting to make this vehicle run on pneumatic power?

Le Luc said:
tank with a capacity of probably a little over 7127 inches cubed at ~100-110 psi

Le Luc said:
air consumption rating of 45 scfm

First, and most important, where are you getting this tank? 110 psi is a lot of pressure and can be quite deadly if the tank is not designed for such pressure.

Your 7127 cu inch tank holds about 4 cubic feet. If the pressure is 110 psig, the tank holds about 4 * 110/14.7= 31 scf. So the best you're going to do is operate for about 31/45 = 0.7 minutes or 40 seconds. And that doesn't account for the tank pressure dropping as the contents are depleted -- after all, the air motor needs some pressure to run (you need to get that number from the motor specs). It sounds like you have more thinking to do on this plan.

Likes berkeman
gmax137 said:
First, and most important, where are you getting this tank? 110 psi is a lot of pressure and can be quite deadly if the tank is not designed for such pressure.

Your 7127 cu inch tank holds about 4 cubic feet. If the pressure is 110 psig, the tank holds about 4 * 110/14.7= 31 scf. So the best you're going to do is operate for about 31/45 = 0.7 minutes or 40 seconds. And that doesn't account for the tank pressure dropping as the contents are depleted -- after all, the air motor needs some pressure to run (you need to get that number from the motor specs). It sounds like you have more thinking to do on this plan.

My plans already have changed. I planned on using 3" schedual 40 pvc pipe for the tank.
My vehicle will probably be using electricity from now on.

Related to How to attach wheel to axel? and how to choose motor

1. How do I attach a wheel to an axel?

To attach a wheel to an axel, you will need to use a wheel hub. The hub will slide onto the axel and then the wheel can be attached to the hub using bolts or screws. It is important to make sure that the hub is securely attached to the axel to prevent the wheel from coming loose.

2. What type of wheel hub should I use?

The type of wheel hub you should use will depend on the size and weight of your wheel. For larger and heavier wheels, a flanged hub or a keyed hub would be more suitable. For smaller and lighter wheels, a simple hub without flanges or keys may be sufficient. It is important to choose a hub that can support the weight and size of your wheel.

3. How many bolts or screws should I use to attach the wheel to the hub?

The number of bolts or screws you should use will also depend on the size and weight of your wheel. Generally, at least 4 bolts or screws should be used to ensure the wheel is securely attached to the hub. However, for larger and heavier wheels, more bolts or screws may be necessary to distribute the weight evenly.

4. How do I choose the right motor for my wheel?

To choose the right motor for your wheel, you will need to consider the weight and size of your wheel, as well as the speed and torque required for your application. It is important to choose a motor that can handle the weight and size of your wheel and provide enough power to achieve the desired speed and torque.

5. Should I use a geared or non-geared motor for my wheel?

The decision between a geared or non-geared motor will depend on the specific requirements of your project. Geared motors are typically used for applications that require high torque and low speed, while non-geared motors are better suited for high speed applications. It is important to carefully consider your project's needs before choosing a motor.