How to calculate hinge forces?

In summary, if you have not produced a correct solution, complete solutions are not permitted, whether or not an attempt has been made.
mmaismma
Homework Statement
In the figure shown a uniform rod of mass m and length l is hinged. The rod is released when the rod makes angle θ with the vertical.
Relevant Equations
Find
A) The angular velocity of the rod at the lowest position.
B) Normal Reaction due to the hinge just after the rod is released
IMG_20200101_125305.jpg

I have solved problem (A).
IMG_20200101_141500.jpg

But I couldn't solve problem (B).
Here is my attempt:
IMG_20200101_142317.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
mmaismma said:
Homework Statement:: In the figure shown a uniform rod of mass m and length l is hinged. The rod is released when the rod makes angle θ with the vertical.
Homework Equations:: Find
A) The angular velocity of the rod at the lowest position.
B) Normal Reaction due to the hinge just after the rod is released

View attachment 254984

I have solved problem (A).
View attachment 254982

But I couldn't solve problem (B).
Here is my attempt:View attachment 254983
The equations you have written in part B seem to be statics equations, but the rod will be accelerating.

Likes mmaismma
haruspex said:
The equations you have written in part B seem to be statics equations, but the rod will be accelerating.

You are absolutely right. Here is my attempt. Please verify the solution.
IMG_20200102_173504_HDR.jpg

You have a few sign errors.
Which ways are you taking as positive for at?
And which way does centripetal acceleration act? (But that error didn’t matter because it is zero.)
You also seem to have dropped the mg sin theta term in Ny.

haruspex said:
You have a few sign errors.
Which ways are you taking as positive for at?
And which way does centripetal acceleration act? (But that error didn’t matter because it is zero.)
You also seem to have dropped the mg sin theta term in Ny.
The signs are denoted in this image. And I haven't dropped the mgsin theta term. Also the at is taken in the +ve y-axis side (i.e. along Ny).
IMG_20200103_082400.jpg

mmaismma said:
The signs are denoted in this image. And I haven't dropped the mgsin theta term. Also the at is taken in the +ve y-axis side (i.e. along Ny).View attachment 255076
Ok, so at is positive up, but then which way are you taking α as positive, and what then is the correct relationship between them?

Wrt the mg sin(theta) term you have not underscored the line I had in mind. (This is an example of why the guidelines say not to post working as images. If you take the trouble to type it in it is much easier to refer to. Or you could number your equations.)
Look at the next two lines. Nothing missing?

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Ok, so at is positive up, but then which way are you taking α as positive, and what then is the correct relationship between them?

Wrt the mg sin(theta) term you have not underscored the line I had in mind. (This is an example of why the guidelines say not to post working as images. If you take the trouble to type it in it is much easier to refer to. Or you could number your equations.)
Look at the next two lines. Nothing missing?
Sorry. My bad. Here is my revised attempt. Please check.
##
\begin{align}
\Rightarrow F_{net}{}_{x} &=ma_x\nonumber\\
\Rightarrow mg\sin \theta - N_y &= ma_t \nonumber\\
\Rightarrow N_y &= mg\sin \theta - ma_t \nonumber\\
&= mg\sin\theta -m \times \frac {3g\sin\theta} {2l} \times \frac {l} {2} \nonumber\\
\Rightarrow \mathbf {N_y = \frac {mg\sin \theta}{4}}\end{align}
##
And obviously ##\begin{align}\mathbf{N_x=mg\cos\theta}\end{align}##

mmaismma said:
Sorry. My bad. Here is my revised attempt. Please check.
##
\begin{align}
\Rightarrow F_{net}{}_{x} &=ma_x\nonumber\\
\Rightarrow mg\sin \theta - N_y &= ma_t \nonumber\\
\Rightarrow N_y &= mg\sin \theta - ma_t \nonumber\\
&= mg\sin\theta -m \times \frac {3g\sin\theta} {2l} \times \frac {l} {2} \nonumber\\
\Rightarrow \mathbf {N_y = \frac {mg\sin \theta}{4}}\end{align}
##
And obviously ##\begin{align}\mathbf{N_x=mg\cos\theta}\end{align}##
Looks good.

haruspex said:
Looks good.
It doesn't match my anwer key. Probably the answer key is wrong. But can you ensure me if my answer key is wrong. Here is what my answer key says:
$$N_1=\frac{3mg\sin\theta\cos\theta}{4}\\
N_2=mg\left[1-\frac{3\sin{}^2\theta}{4}\right]$$

mmaismma said:
It doesn't match my anwer key. Probably the answer key is wrong. But can you ensure me if my answer key is wrong. Here is what my answer key says:
$$N_1=\frac{3mg\sin\theta\cos\theta}{4}\\
N_2=mg\left[1-\frac{3\sin{}^2\theta}{4}\right]$$
Same answer but using vertical and horizontal coordinates.

$$\begin{align}N_1&=N_y\cos\theta+N_x\cos\theta\nonumber\\
&=\frac{3mg\sin\theta\cos\theta}4+mg\cos{}^2\theta\neq\frac{3mg\sin\theta\cos\theta}4\nonumber\end{align}$$

mmaismma said:
$$N_1=N_y\cos\theta+N_x\cos\theta$$
That doesn't strike you as unusual?

haruspex said:
That doesn't strike you as unusual?
What did't strike me?
Since I have got to the answer, You can now post the complete answer as per Physics forums rules.
Giving Full Answers:
On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Complete solutions can be provided to a questioner after the questioner has arrived at a correct solution. If the questioner has not produced a correct solution, complete solutions are not permitted, whether or not an attempt has been made.

mmaismma said:
What did't strike me?
Since I have got to the answer, You can now post the complete answer as per Physics forums rules.
It would be most odd that in converting between coordinate systems you would use the cosine of the angle in both terms of the one equation. If you do the right conversions you will find your answer and the book answer are the same.

You are right it ain't striking me. I can't understand what are you trying to say.

mmaismma said:
You are right it ain't striking me. I can't understand what are you trying to say.
What is the vertical component of your Nx, taking up as positive?
What is the vertical component of your Ny, taking up as positive?
They cannot both involve cos(θ). One of them must be sine. And I believe one of them is negative.

You are right my bad. But it still doesn't match my answer key:
##\begin{align}&N_x\cos\theta+N_y\sin\theta=N_1\nonumber\\&mg\cos\theta\times\cos\theta+\frac{mg\sin\theta}4\sin\theta\nonumber\\&\frac{mg(4\cos{}^2\theta+\sin{}^2\theta)}4\neq N_1\nonumber\end{align}##

mmaismma said:
You are right my bad. But it still doesn't match my answer key:
##\begin{align}&N_x\cos\theta+N_y\sin\theta=N_1\nonumber\\&mg\cos\theta\times\cos\theta+\frac{mg\sin\theta}4\sin\theta\nonumber\\&\frac{mg(4\cos{}^2\theta+\sin{}^2\theta)}4\neq N_1\nonumber\end{align}##
I believe N1 is horizontal, so you changed the wrong trig function for that case.

haruspex said:
I believe N1 is horizontal, so you changed the wrong trig function for that case.
You are right. Continuing previous equation:
##\begin{align}&=mg\frac{1+3\cos^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=mg\frac{1+3-3\sin^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=mg\frac{4-4\sin^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=\mathbf{mg(1-\frac{sin^2\theta}4)}\end{align}##
And
##\begin{align}N_1&=N_y\cos\theta-N_x\sin\theta\nonumber\\&=\frac{mg\sin\theta}4\cos\theta-mg\cos\theta\times\sin\theta\nonumber\\&=\mathbf{\frac{-3mg\sin\theta\cos\theta}4}\\&=\text{answer in opposite direction}\nonumber\end{align}\\##
Thanks.

mmaismma said:
You are right. Continuing previous equation:
##\begin{align}&=mg\frac{1+3\cos^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=mg\frac{1+3-3\sin^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=mg\frac{4-4\sin^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=\mathbf{mg(1-\frac{sin^2\theta}4)}\end{align}##
And
##\begin{align}N_1&=N_y\cos\theta-N_x\sin\theta\nonumber\\&=\frac{mg\sin\theta}4\cos\theta-mg\cos\theta\times\sin\theta\nonumber\\&=\mathbf{\frac{-3mg\sin\theta\cos\theta}4}\\&=\text{answer in opposite direction}\nonumber\end{align}\\##
Thanks.
A couple of typos in the N2 path. Should have ended up with ##1-\frac{3\sin^2}4##

Yeah you are right.
\begin{align}&=mg\frac{1+3\cos^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=mg\frac{1+3-3\sin^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=mg\frac{4-3\sin^2\theta}4\nonumber\\&=\mathbf{mg(1-\frac{3sin^2\theta}4)}\end{align}

Related to How to calculate hinge forces?

1. How do I calculate the hinge forces for a given structure?

To calculate hinge forces, you will need to use the principles of statics and apply them to the specific structure you are working with. This involves analyzing the forces acting on the structure, such as gravity and applied loads, and determining the reactions at the hinges. You can then use equations and diagrams to calculate the magnitude and direction of the hinge forces.

2. What factors affect the hinge forces in a structure?

The hinge forces in a structure are affected by a variety of factors, including the type and location of the hinges, the weight and distribution of loads, and the overall geometry of the structure. It is important to carefully consider all of these factors when calculating hinge forces to ensure accurate results.

3. Can I use a simplified method to calculate hinge forces?

In some cases, it may be possible to use simplified methods to estimate hinge forces. However, these methods should only be used as a rough approximation and may not provide accurate results for more complex structures. It is generally recommended to use more rigorous calculations for accurate hinge force determination.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating hinge forces?

One common mistake when calculating hinge forces is forgetting to consider all of the forces acting on the structure, such as wind or seismic forces. It is also important to double-check all calculations and diagrams for accuracy, as errors can lead to incorrect hinge force calculations. Additionally, make sure to use the correct units and account for any conversions that may be necessary.

5. Are there any software programs available for calculating hinge forces?

Yes, there are several software programs available that can assist with calculating hinge forces for structures. These programs use complex algorithms and equations to accurately determine the forces at hinges, and can save time and effort compared to manual calculations. However, it is still important to have a basic understanding of the principles involved in order to effectively use these programs.