How to calculate obscuration of the light by small particles

In summary: Then, you measure the obscuration of the light and use that information to calculate the number of particles in the system. If you can inject a known quantity of particles into your system (shouldn't be too hard -- if you know what they're made of and their size, you can do this by mass), you can make measurements of the obscuration of the light for different amounts of particles (0 to as many as you think is appropriate), and construct a Number vs Intensity curve. Then, if you keep the setup static, you should be able to use that curve for an arbitrary number of particles.
A-Noza
Hi there,
I am trying to find the number of fine particles (micron size) by obscuration. There are a light source and a photo-detector which particles are injected between them. I know the size of my particles. How can I find how many particles are passing through the light by obscuration of light?

Science news on Phys.org
This is an entire field of study in itself. It's important for the study of growth of aquatic plants (which are affected by the amount of light penetrating to a given depth) and for satellite imaging of oceans.

My dad wrote a book about it, that I understand is highly regarded in the industry:

http://www.cambridge.org/us/academi...photosynthesis-aquatic-ecosystems-3rd-edition

The intensity of light reaching the detector depends on
- the quantity of light emitted
- the density of particles in between
- the shape of the particles
- the nature of the particles
- the angle of the light source to the receptor

Both scattering and absorption needs to be taken into account, and in some cases also reflection. Monte Carlo simulation of photon paths is the standard way to develop distributions of light intensity at the receptor.

Given the complexities that andrewkirk pointed out, perhaps the easiest thing to do is to work this out experimentally.

If you can inject a known quantity of particles into your system (shouldn't be too hard -- if you know what they're made of and their size, you can do this by mass), you can make measurements of the obscuration of the light for different amounts of particles (0 to as many as you think is appropriate), and construct a Number vs Intensity curve. Then, if you keep the setup static, you should be able to use that curve for an arbitrary number of particles.

A-Noza said:
Hi there,
I am trying to find the number of fine particles (micron size) by obscuration. There are a light source and a photo-detector which particles are injected between them. I know the size of my particles. How can I find how many particles are passing through the light by obscuration of light?

As andrewkirk mentioned, there are a lot of complexities. The usual approach is to calibrate your system using known concentrations of (similar) particles.

1. How do you calculate the obscuration of light by small particles?

To calculate the obscuration of light by small particles, you can use the following formula: Obscuration (%) = (I0 - It) / I0 x 100%, where I0 is the initial intensity of light and It is the intensity of light after passing through the particle-filled medium.

2. What is the relationship between particle size and light obscuration?

The relationship between particle size and light obscuration is directly proportional. This means that as the particle size increases, the light obscuration also increases.

3. How does the concentration of particles affect light obscuration?

The concentration of particles also has a direct relationship with light obscuration. As the concentration of particles increases, the light obscuration also increases.

4. Can you calculate light obscuration for different types of particles?

Yes, you can calculate light obscuration for different types of particles as long as you have the necessary parameters such as particle size, concentration, and initial light intensity.

5. Is there a limit to the accuracy of light obscuration calculations?

Yes, there is a limit to the accuracy of light obscuration calculations. Factors such as particle size distribution, particle shape, and light wavelength can affect the accuracy of the calculation. It is important to carefully consider these factors when calculating light obscuration.