How to calculate permanent load?

• Thread starter AngelEdge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the permanent load on a stainless steel slab that is part of a rolling bridge structure. The speaker is seeking help with determining the load per square meter, maximum stress, and analysis of traffic load. They also mention not knowing which formulas to use and clarify the difference between structural and non-structural loads. The max stress is expected to occur when the bridge is "rolling up".
AngelEdge
Hello, I am trying to calculate the permanent load on a slab of 1.6m x 1.4m x 0.05m stainless steel that is part of a structure of 8 plates.
The structure is a rolling bridge, link below

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-zOrAL1V5Jg/S6XanJMpPXI/AAAAAAAADhU/a86tki4c_YY/s640/rolling+bridge+1.jpg

I'm trying to calculate, Load per square meter structural and non-structural,Maximum stress for permanent loads,Analysis of traffic load.

Anyone can help me with the formulas that i have to use for this as I don't know which to use? Thank you very much in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
The structural load is just the weight of the bridge "smeared" over the area, often with some factor to account for it weighing more (or less) than you think. What do you mean by non-structural? People walking on it or decorative panels. Permanent loads typically means just the structures weight with all of its "accessories". The max stress from permanent loads is most likely going to occur when the bridge is "Rolling up".

1. What is permanent load in engineering?

In engineering, permanent load refers to the weight or force that is constantly present on a structure or system, such as the weight of the building itself or the weight of permanent fixtures like walls or equipment.

2. How is permanent load different from live load?

Live load is the weight or force that is not always present on a structure or system, but rather varies in magnitude and location. Examples of live load include people, furniture, and vehicles. Permanent load, on the other hand, remains constant and is always present.

3. How do you calculate the permanent load of a structure?

The permanent load of a structure can be calculated by adding together the weights of all permanent elements, such as walls, floors, and fixtures. This can be done by obtaining the weight per unit area or volume of each element and multiplying it by the total area or volume of that element.

4. What is the unit of measurement for permanent load?

The unit of measurement for permanent load is typically pounds (lb) or newtons (N). The specific unit used may vary depending on the country or region, but they all represent a force or weight.

5. Why is it important to calculate the permanent load of a structure?

Calculating the permanent load of a structure is important for ensuring its safety and stability. By accurately determining the weight or force that will be constantly present on the structure, engineers can design it to withstand and distribute this load effectively, preventing potential failures or collapses. It also helps in determining the overall cost and materials needed for the construction of a structure.