How to calculate suspended weight capacity of trailer springs

In summary, the conversation is about using a rubber suspension component from Rosta and calculating the deflection caused by a range of weights applied to a lever attached to the units. The process involves converting static weight to Nm of force, determining the geometry of the lever, and considering the elastic properties of the unit to calculate the displacement. A moment diagram and Hooke's law can be used to determine the forces and displacement.
neilmkearns
Hello

I am using an rubber suspension component from Rosta, and want to calculate the deflection over a range of weights acting on a lever attached to the rubber suspension units.
HOw do I convert static weight to Nm of force for determining the deflection of the units?

thanks

here's the component line that I am selecting from-

http://rostainc.com/pdfs/applications/Rosta_Catalogues/Rubber%20Suspension%20Units.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Weight force is just mg applied, I guess, to one end of the lever. You need the geometry of the lever to determine how the lever arm transmits that force to the unit and the elastic properties of the unit to work out how it is compressed or extended.

I agree with Simon. A moment diagram will yield forces on the rubber. Then divide that by the spring constant of the rubber (hookes law). this will result in the displacement.

1. How do I determine the weight capacity of my trailer springs?

The weight capacity of trailer springs can be calculated by multiplying the number of springs by their individual weight capacity. This information is typically provided by the manufacturer and can be found in the trailer's specifications or owner's manual.

2. What factors affect the suspended weight capacity of trailer springs?

The suspended weight capacity of trailer springs can be affected by various factors such as the type and size of the springs, the number of springs used, the quality of the springs, and the condition of the trailer's suspension system. Other factors such as the weight and distribution of the load being carried can also impact the weight capacity.

3. How do I calculate the weight of my trailer's load?

The weight of the load can be determined by using a scale or by referencing the weight limit of the trailer provided by the manufacturer. It is important to evenly distribute the weight of the load on the trailer to avoid overloading specific springs and causing imbalances in the trailer's suspension.

4. Can the weight capacity of trailer springs be increased?

In most cases, the weight capacity of trailer springs cannot be increased without compromising the safety and stability of the trailer. It is important to always use trailer springs that are rated for the weight of the load being carried to ensure proper support and prevent damage to the suspension system.

5. How often should I check the weight capacity of my trailer springs?

It is recommended to check the weight capacity of trailer springs before each use and regularly inspect the springs for any signs of wear or damage. If any concerns or changes in the weight of the load being carried arise, it is important to re-evaluate the weight capacity and make any necessary adjustments to ensure safe operation.