How to calculate the flow rate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the installation of a valve between the throttle body and intake manifold in order to restrict the flow of air and analyze the mass flow rate of air in the engine. An anemometer is recommended to measure the velocity of the air stream in the restricted area, which is proportional to the ratio of the two air stream cross sections. The conversation also mentions the need to mathematically model and drive equations for this scenario using an iris type valve that can decrease or increase its area as needed. A helpful resource for this is provided.
amare
A valve is installed between the throttle body and intake manifold and decrease its area to restrict the flow. How do I analyze the mass flow rate of air in the decreasing area to know the engine working condition at a minimum valve area?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Place an anemometer in the air stream to measure its velocity. The flow rate in the restricted area will be proportional to the ratio of the two air stream cross sections.

AZFIREBALL said:
Place an anemometer in the air stream to measure its velocity. The flow rate in the restricted area will be proportional to the ratio of the two air stream cross sections.
I need to model the scenario mathematically...do you have the idea how do i model it?

I need to mathematically model a valve installed between the throttle body and the intake manifold. the valve is an iris type whose area decrease or increase as needed. when the valve is open the air can flow freely from the throttle body to the intake manifold. but when the area get decreasing the flow will be restricted and when the area becomes zero the engine will stop. so how do i mathematically model and drive equation for this type of scenario?

1. What is flow rate?

Flow rate is the measurement of how much fluid (liquid or gas) is moving through a specific point in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in units of volume per time, such as liters per second or cubic feet per minute.

2. How do you calculate flow rate?

Flow rate can be calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that passes through a point by the time it takes for that volume to pass through. For example, if 100 liters of water passes through a pipe in 10 seconds, the flow rate would be 100 liters/10 seconds = 10 liters per second.

3. What factors affect flow rate?

Flow rate can be affected by a variety of factors, including the size and shape of the container or pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure or force pushing the fluid through the system. Temperature and density of the fluid can also play a role in flow rate.

4. What are the units of measurement for flow rate?

Flow rate can be measured in a variety of units, depending on the specific application and industry. Some common units of measurement for flow rate include liters per second, cubic feet per minute, gallons per minute, and cubic meters per hour.

5. How is flow rate used in real-world applications?

Flow rate is an important measurement in many industries and applications, including plumbing, chemical engineering, and environmental science. It is used to monitor and control the movement of fluids in systems, and can also be used to calculate the efficiency of processes and equipment.