How to calculate the Resistor Values for an op amp circuit

In summary, the article discusses a high-resolution resistive probe for nonlinear analysis of two-phase flows. The specific circuit being referenced involves a section for rectifying a sinusoid and maintaining a gain of 1. The author mentions using a full-wave or half-wave rectifier, and notes that there is a separate instrumentation amplifier being used in the project.
epcole
282e2ao.jpg

I need help calculating the R values for this circuit from the following article:

AN HIGH RESOLUTION RESISTIVE PROBE FOR NONLINEAR ANALYSIS OF TWO-PHASE FLOWS
L. Cantelli, A. Fichera, A. Pagano

This is only a section of the circuit, there is more but I'm only interested in this part of it. I want to rectify a sinusoid and also to maintain a gain of 1. Has anyone come across something like this? There is an instrumentation amplifier before this but I'm not dealing with that in my project.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
epcole said:
I want to rectify a sinusoid and also to maintain a gain of 1.
You want to full-wave rectify it, or half-wave rectify it?

1. How do I determine the necessary resistor values for an op amp circuit?

The necessary resistor values for an op amp circuit can be determined by using the formula provided in the op amp's datasheet. This formula takes into account the desired gain, input and output resistances, and the op amp's characteristics. Alternatively, you can also use online calculators or simulation software to determine the resistor values.

2. What is the purpose of resistors in an op amp circuit?

Resistors in an op amp circuit serve several purposes. They can be used to set the gain of the circuit, provide feedback, and control the input and output impedances. They also help to stabilize the op amp and prevent oscillations.

3. How do I choose the appropriate resistor values for my op amp circuit?

The appropriate resistor values for an op amp circuit depend on the specific application and the desired performance. You can start by determining the gain and input/output impedances required for your circuit and then use the formula provided in the op amp's datasheet to calculate the resistor values. It is also important to consider the tolerance and power rating of the resistors.

4. What happens if I use incorrect resistor values in an op amp circuit?

If incorrect resistor values are used in an op amp circuit, it can result in inaccurate or unstable circuit operation. This can lead to errors in the output signal, excessive noise, or even damage to the op amp. It is important to carefully calculate and choose the appropriate resistor values for optimal circuit performance.

5. Can I use variable resistors in an op amp circuit?

Yes, variable resistors (also known as potentiometers) can be used in an op amp circuit. They can be used to adjust the gain or provide variable feedback. However, it is important to choose high-quality, precision variable resistors to ensure stable and accurate circuit operation.