How to calculate the second fundamental form of a submanifold?

In summary, to calculate the second fundamental form of a circle as the boundary of a spherical cap, you can use a parametrization to make the calculations easier. However, it is also possible to do so without parametrizing the manifolds. To do this, you need to find the unit normal vector to the boundary, calculate the first fundamental form, and then use the formula for the second fundamental form. If you are getting a zero result, it is possible that there is an error in your calculations or parametrization.
Alico
Hi, I'm trying to calculate the second fundamental form of a circle as the boundary (submanifold) of a spherical cap. I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Is it possible to do that without parametrize the manifolds?

I wrote the parametrization of the spherical cap (which is the same as the sphere, with different range for the angles, $0 < u \leq 2 \pi$ and $0 < v \leq arccos((r-h)/r)$.) and then I took v=arccos((r-h)/r) to get a parametrization, $X$, of the boundary. I wrote the second fundamental form as II = <-dX, dN>, where N is the unity normal to the boundary. I got zero as answer. Is it right?

Is there a way to get a different result (different metric, for example)? How can I do this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. It is possible to calculate the second fundamental form of a circle as the boundary of a spherical cap without parametrizing the manifolds. However, using a parametrization can make the calculations easier and more straightforward.

To calculate the second fundamental form, you need to first find the unit normal vector to the boundary. This can be done by taking the gradient of the function that defines the boundary. In this case, the function is $f(u,v)=r-h$, where $r$ is the radius of the sphere and $h$ is the height of the spherical cap. Therefore, the unit normal vector is given by $N=\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}\hat{u}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial v}\hat{v}$.

Next, you need to find the first fundamental form, which is the metric tensor on the boundary. This can be done by using the parametrization $X(u,v)$ and calculating the dot product of the tangent vectors, $g_{ij}=\langle \frac{\partial X}{\partial u}, \frac{\partial X}{\partial u}\rangle$ and $g_{ij}=\langle \frac{\partial X}{\partial v}, \frac{\partial X}{\partial v}\rangle$. In this case, the first fundamental form will be the same as that of a sphere, since the parametrization is the same.

Finally, you can calculate the second fundamental form using the formula $II=\langle dX, dN\rangle$. This will give you a non-zero result, as the unit normal vector is not constant along the boundary.

If you are getting a zero result, it is possible that there is an error in your calculations or in the parametrization you are using. I would recommend double-checking your work and possibly using a different parametrization to see if you get a different result.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the second fundamental form of a submanifold?

The second fundamental form of a submanifold is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry to describe the curvature properties of a surface or submanifold in a higher-dimensional space. It measures the change in the normal vector as one moves along the surface in different directions.

2. How do you calculate the second fundamental form of a submanifold?

To calculate the second fundamental form of a submanifold, you will need to first determine the metric tensor of the submanifold. Then, using the Christoffel symbols and the metric tensor, you can compute the components of the second fundamental form using the Gauss equation or the Weingarten equations.

3. What is the difference between the first and second fundamental forms?

The first fundamental form describes the intrinsic geometry of a surface, while the second fundamental form describes the extrinsic geometry. In other words, the first fundamental form is concerned with measurements and properties that are independent of the embedding space, while the second fundamental form takes into account the curvature and shape of the surface within the embedding space.

4. Can the second fundamental form be negative?

Yes, the second fundamental form can have negative components. This indicates that the surface is negatively curved in certain directions. This can be visualized as the surface bending inward, like a saddle. In contrast, positive components in the second fundamental form indicate positive curvature, resembling a sphere.

5. What is the significance of the second fundamental form in differential geometry?

The second fundamental form is significant in differential geometry as it provides important information about the curvature and shape of a submanifold. It is used in a variety of applications, such as in the study of minimal surfaces, geodesics, and isometries. It also plays a crucial role in the Gauss-Codazzi equations, which relate the first and second fundamental forms to the curvature of a surface.