How to calculate work and power in a simple integral word problem?

In summary, the work done in lifting the 100 lb bag of sand for 2 seconds at a rate of 4 feet per second, while losing sand at a rate of 1.5 lbs per second, is 788 ft-lb.
Jimbo57

Homework Statement

A 100 lb bag of sand is lifted for 2 seconds at the rate of 4 feet per second . find the work done in lifting the bag if the sand leaks out at the rate of 1.5 lbs per second.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt at it:
work = force x distance
force = 100-1.5t
distance = 4t
work = 400t-6t2
Now I integrate for t=2 and t=0
∫(400t-6t2)dt
=200t2-2t3 for t=2 and t=0
=800-16=784ft-lb

Any mistakes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimbo57 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my attempt at it:
work = force x distance
force = 100-1.5t
distance = 4t
work = 400t-6t2

This is not correct. Work =force times distance is valid only when the force is constant during the displacement.
Jimbo57 said:
∫(400t-6t2)dt
=200t2-2t3 for t=2 and t=0
=800-16=784ft-lb

Any mistakes?

If you integrate work with respect to time, you do not get work.

Use that power = force times velocity, and integrate the power over time.

ehild

Ehild, thanks for pointing this out. I had a hunch that integrating work does not give you work, that should be common sense by now for me.

Correction:
power = force x velocity
force = 100-1.5t
velocity = 4
power = 400-6t
work = ∫(400-6t)dt
=400t-3t2 for t=2 and t=0
=800-12=788ft-lb

Jimbo57 said:
Ehild, thanks for pointing this out. I had a hunch that integrating work does not give you work, that should be common sense by now for me.

Correction:
power = force x velocity
force = 100-1.5t
velocity = 4
power = 400-6t
work = ∫(400-6t)dt
=400t-3t2 for t=2 and t=0
=800-12=788ft-lb

That looks much better.

1. What is a simple integral word problem?

A simple integral word problem is a mathematical question that involves calculating the area under a curve using the integral calculus method. It typically involves finding the total value or quantity of something that is changing over time or distance.

2. How do you solve a simple integral word problem?

To solve a simple integral word problem, you need to first set up the integral by identifying the variable, limits of integration, and the integrand. Then, use integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts to find the antiderivative. Finally, evaluate the integral using the limits of integration to find the solution.

3. What are some common applications of simple integral word problems?

Simple integral word problems are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities that change continuously. They are also used in optimization problems to find the minimum or maximum value of a quantity.

4. What are some important tips for solving simple integral word problems?

Some important tips for solving simple integral word problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the variable and limits of integration, choosing the appropriate integration technique, and checking your solution for accuracy.

5. Are there any online resources or tools available for solving simple integral word problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for solving simple integral word problems. Some helpful websites include Khan Academy, Mathway, and Wolfram Alpha. Additionally, most graphing calculators have built-in integration functions that can help with solving these types of problems.