How to connect the satellite tv to my PC?

In summary, If you are tired of watching TV in your living room and want to hook up satellite TV, you will need a TV tuner card. One option is the TBS 6981 dual tuner, which has been recommended by a friend. Personally, I have used an older, lower quality TV tuner card and have found that a video card with an inbuilt tuner works better. With a TV tuner card, you can hook up the video signal to the device and the audio to your sound card, and then use capturing software to record in MPEG format. There are also high-end tuner cards that directly encode to MPEG streams, but they may not be necessary. For the best quality, it is recommended to use a digital tuner card and
skywalkerman
I am just tired of watching tv on my living room. I know it might need a tv tuner card to hook up the satellite TV.but my problem is how? one of my friend said TBS 6981 dual tuner is good. anyone has used it before?

Any advice will be appreciated

Computer science news on Phys.org
skywalkerman said:
I am just tired of watching tv on my living room. I know it might need a tv tuner card to hook up the satellite TV.but my problem is how? one of my friend said TBS 6981 dual tuner is good. anyone has used it before?

Any advice will be appreciated

I had a TV tuner card in my old PC so I have some experience with this.

The one I had was old though, one of those 100 dollar ones that you would capture in PAL VCD resolution.

After that though I got a video card which had an inbuilt tuner that capture at a res of 640x480. The capturing program converted it straight to MPEG2, but I don't honestly think it was as good as 640x480 should be (seemed a bit blurry, so maybe it was scaling the res up from an original low res signal, I don't know).

Basically if you get a tuner card you basically hook the video signal to the TV tuner device and the audio to your sound card. Then use any capturing software to record to it whatever you want.

Most computers now can directly capture to MPEG1/2 so space shouldn't be a problem (raw capture is absolutely insane).

After you capture you can edit and then export to whatever format you want with the zillions of programs out there to do just that.

Apart from the low-end tuners, there are high end ones that directly encode to MPEG streams in the hardware, and they are very good. I don't think they are necessary though.

Also wanted to point out that my experience is with analog capture cards. If you can get a digital tuner card and have the ability to directly get the digital signal, then you are going to get some very very crisp quality video and it should come out really good.

If its analog it will still be ok, but probably not as good as a digital source stream.

1. How do I physically connect my satellite TV to my PC?

To physically connect your satellite TV to your PC, you will need an HDMI cable. One end of the cable should be inserted into the HDMI port on your satellite TV receiver, and the other end should be inserted into the HDMI port on your PC. Make sure both devices are turned off before making the connection.

2. Do I need any special software to connect my satellite TV to my PC?

Yes, you will need special software to connect your satellite TV to your PC. This software is typically provided by your satellite TV provider and is necessary for the PC to recognize and display the satellite TV signal.

3. Can I watch satellite TV on my PC without an internet connection?

Yes, you can watch satellite TV on your PC without an internet connection. However, you will need an internet connection if you want to access any additional features such as on-demand content or streaming services.

4. How do I change channels on my satellite TV when it's connected to my PC?

To change channels on your satellite TV when it's connected to your PC, you can use the remote control that came with your satellite TV receiver. Alternatively, you may be able to use your mouse or keyboard to navigate the on-screen menu and change channels.

5. Can I record satellite TV programs on my PC?

Yes, you can record satellite TV programs on your PC if you have a digital video recorder (DVR) or a TV tuner card installed. These devices allow you to record and save TV programs directly on your PC, just like a traditional DVR.