Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to copy the value of a cell in Excel to a new location?

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    Suppose I apply a particular function and I get a value of the cell-A1. How can I copy this value to another cell-C1 and the entire column under C1 to use it in a new operation provided that C1 and the entire column are always updated when A1 changes?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just make the value of C1 be "=A1"

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It's not clear what you're asking here with regard to this part: "and the entire column under C1 to use it in a new operation provided that C1 and the entire column are always updated when A1 changes?"
    @phinds's suggestion is fine for copying the value in A1 to C1. Can you be more clear about what is supposed to go in cells C2, C3, and so on?

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4
    For example, suppose there is a function F(x) which yields a number on C1. I need to copy this number over the entire column under C1, namely C2, C3,,, etc without repeated typing (=C1) over and over for each cell under C. Is there a way to do that in one shot? Dragging the small box in C1 over the entire column may or may not get the same value as this depends on the way the excel sheet is formed and also this would be time consuming if I have many columns to copy. So I need to update the entire column immediately once the new value of C1 is updated.

6. Oct 28, 2016 #5

Mark44

Let me rephrase what you wrote slightly, to align with what you said earlier.
    In cell C1 put this formula: =$A$1
    Now select (highlight) cell C1 and press [CTRL]C (to copy that formula)
    Select cells C2 and however many cells you want to copy this formula to.
    Press [CTRL]V (to paste the copied formula.

Cells C1, C2, ... should all now display the value that's in cell A1.

If you change the value in A1, the cells that you have copied the formula to should now show the new value in A1.

7. Oct 28, 2016 #6
    wow, it works. Thank you. May I ask one more question?

8. Oct 28, 2016 #7
    I have a column and I need to sort its value (numbers) from the greatest to the smallest. In addition, I need the extension (nominal or words) of the column next to the first one to be sorted too in the corresponding order. How to do this sorting automatically once the values of the column are updated to new values? I know I can do sort but I need to save time and to be done automatically.

9. Oct 28, 2016 #8

Mark44

The only way I can think that you can get the values in the column sorted is to write a VB macro to do it. That's a lot more complicated than what you wanted to do before. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

10. Oct 28, 2016 #9

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was thinking the same thing. Even w/ a VB macro you have to have some facility to cause the macro to run if any of the cells change. That's probably doable given how sophisticated the Excel object model is but I don't know the method. This assume of course that you don't want to have to click a control to make the change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted