How to copy the value of a cell in Excel to a new location?

In summary, to copy the value from cell A1 to cell C1 and the entire column under C1 in one shot, you can put the formula "=A1" in cell C1 and then copy and paste it to the rest of the cells in the column. This will update all the cells in the column whenever the value in A1 changes.To sort the values in a column automatically, you may need to write a VB macro to do so, as there is no built-in function for this in Excel. This would also require a way for the macro to run when the values in the column are updated.
Adel Makram
Suppose I apply a particular function and I get a value of the cell-A1. How can I copy this value to another cell-C1 and the entire column under C1 to use it in a new operation provided that C1 and the entire column are always updated when A1 changes?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Adel Makram said:
Suppose I apply a particular function and I get a value of the cell-A1. How can I copy this value to another cell-C1 and the entire column under C1 to use it in a new operation provided that C1 and the entire column are always updated when A1 changes?
Just make the value of C1 be "=A1"

Adel Makram said:
It's not clear what you're asking here with regard to this part: "and the entire column under C1 to use it in a new operation provided that C1 and the entire column are always updated when A1 changes?"
@phinds's suggestion is fine for copying the value in A1 to C1. Can you be more clear about what is supposed to go in cells C2, C3, and so on?

Mark44 said:
It's not clear what you're asking here with regard to this part: "and the entire column under C1 to use it in a new operation provided that C1 and the entire column are always updated when A1 changes?"
@phinds's suggestion is fine for copying the value in A1 to C1. Can you be more clear about what is supposed to go in cells C2, C3, and so on?
For example, suppose there is a function F(x) which yields a number on C1. I need to copy this number over the entire column under C1, namely C2, C3,,, etc without repeated typing (=C1) over and over for each cell under C. Is there a way to do that in one shot? Dragging the small box in C1 over the entire column may or may not get the same value as this depends on the way the excel sheet is formed and also this would be time consuming if I have many columns to copy. So I need to update the entire column immediately once the new value of C1 is updated.

Let me rephrase what you wrote slightly, to align with what you said earlier.
suppose there is a function F(x) which yields a number on A1. I need to copy this number over the entire column under C1, namely C2, C3,,, etc without repeated typing (=C1)
In cell C1 put this formula: =$A$1
Now select (highlight) cell C1 and press [CTRL]C (to copy that formula)
Select cells C2 and however many cells you want to copy this formula to.
Press [CTRL]V (to paste the copied formula.

Cells C1, C2, ... should all now display the value that's in cell A1.

If you change the value in A1, the cells that you have copied the formula to should now show the new value in A1.

Likes Adel Makram
Mark44 said:
Let me rephrase what you wrote slightly, to align with what you said earlier.

In cell C1 put this formula: =$A$1
Now select (highlight) cell C1 and press [CTRL]C (to copy that formula)
Select cells C2 and however many cells you want to copy this formula to.
Press [CTRL]V (to paste the copied formula.

Cells C1, C2, ... should all now display the value that's in cell A1.

If you change the value in A1, the cells that you have copied the formula to should now show the new value in A1.
wow, it works. Thank you. May I ask one more question?

I have a column and I need to sort its value (numbers) from the greatest to the smallest. In addition, I need the extension (nominal or words) of the column next to the first one to be sorted too in the corresponding order. How to do this sorting automatically once the values of the column are updated to new values? I know I can do sort but I need to save time and to be done automatically.

Adel Makram said:
I have a column and I need to sort its value (numbers) from the greatest to the smallest. In addition, I need the extension (nominal or words) of the column next to the first one to be sorted too in the corresponding order. How to do this sorting automatically once the values of the column are updated to new values? I know I can do sort but I need to save time and to be done automatically.
The only way I can think that you can get the values in the column sorted is to write a VB macro to do it. That's a lot more complicated than what you wanted to do before. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Mark44 said:
The only way I can think that you can get the values in the column sorted is to write a VB macro to do it. That's a lot more complicated than what you wanted to do before. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.
I was thinking the same thing. Even w/ a VB macro you have to have some facility to cause the macro to run if any of the cells change. That's probably doable given how sophisticated the Excel object model is but I don't know the method. This assume of course that you don't want to have to click a control to make the change.

1. How do I copy a cell in Excel to a new location?

To copy a cell in Excel to a new location, simply select the cell you want to copy and press "Ctrl + C" on your keyboard. Then, navigate to the new location where you want to paste the cell and press "Ctrl + V". The cell's value will be copied to the new location.

2. Can I copy multiple cells at once in Excel?

Yes, you can copy multiple cells at once in Excel. Simply select all the cells you want to copy by clicking and dragging your cursor over them. Then, press "Ctrl + C" to copy them. You can then paste them into a new location by pressing "Ctrl + V".

3. How do I copy a cell's formula in Excel?

To copy a cell's formula in Excel, select the cell with the formula and press "Ctrl + C" on your keyboard. Then, navigate to the new location where you want to paste the formula and press "Ctrl + V". The formula will be copied to the new location and will update automatically based on the cell references.

4. Can I copy a cell's formatting in Excel?

Yes, you can copy a cell's formatting in Excel. To do so, select the cell with the formatting you want to copy and press "Ctrl + C" on your keyboard. Then, navigate to the new location where you want to paste the formatting and right-click on the cell. Select "Paste Special" and then choose "Formatting" from the options. The formatting will be applied to the new location.

5. Is there a quicker way to copy a cell in Excel?

Yes, there is a quicker way to copy a cell in Excel. Simply select the cell you want to copy and click on the small green square in the bottom right corner of the cell. Then, drag the square to the new location where you want to paste the cell. This will automatically copy the cell's value to the new location.