How to deduce the Feynman rules?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the decay amplitude of ## \pi ^ 0 ## in an electron-positron pair, given the interaction term ## \mathcal {L}_{int} = g \: \partial_{\mu} \phi \: \overline{\psi} \: \gamma ^ {\mu} \: \gamma^5 \: \psi ## and the confusion about deducing the Feynman rules for a given Lagrangian. The person also mentions the appearance of this term in a textbook by Drell and Bjorken.
Mr rabbit
1. The declaration of the problem, all variables and data given / known

Calculate the decay amplitude of ## \pi ^ 0 ## in an electron-positron pair ## \pi^0 \rightarrow e^+ e^- ##, assuming that the interaction is of the form

## \mathcal {L}_{int} = g \: \partial_{\mu} \phi \: \overline{\psi} \: \gamma ^ {\mu} \: \gamma^5 \: \psi ##

where g is a coupling constant, ## \phi ## is the scalar field corresponding to ## \pi^0 ## and ## \psi ## is the electron field.

Homework Equations

3. The attempt of a solution

I don't know how to deduce in general the Feynman rules for a given Lagrangian. We made some examples with some theories (## \phi^4 ##, scalar Yukawa, QED scalar, QED) but for example the term ## \partial_{\mu} \phi ## confuses me

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the interaction term look in energy-momentum space, i.e., for fields ##\propto \exp(-\mathrm{i} x \cdot p)##?

I think this appears in Drell and Bjorken the Fields textbook.

1. What are Feynman rules?

Feynman rules are a set of mathematical rules used in particle physics to calculate the probability of a certain interaction between particles.

2. Why is it important to learn how to deduce Feynman rules?

Understanding how to deduce Feynman rules allows scientists to accurately predict and analyze particle interactions, which is crucial in studying and advancing our knowledge of the fundamental laws of nature.

3. What are the steps involved in deducing Feynman rules?

The process of deducing Feynman rules involves identifying the particles involved in the interaction, determining the possible interaction vertices, and then using mathematical equations and rules to calculate the probability amplitude of the interaction.

4. Can Feynman rules be applied to all particle interactions?

Yes, Feynman rules can be applied to all particle interactions, including those involving the fundamental forces of nature such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to deduce Feynman rules?

While a strong understanding of mathematical concepts is helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep knowledge of mathematics in order to deduce Feynman rules. Familiarity with basic concepts such as vectors, matrices, and calculus is usually sufficient.