Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to derive the curl of E equation in the frame of the conductor?

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    According to wikipedia, "The moving magnet and conductor problem", I stopped at the equation shown in the attachment.
    It said that the curl of the E` ( electric field in the frame of the conductor) is equal to minus of the dot product of the velocity of the conductor and the del multiplied by the magnetic field.

How to derive this formula?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2014 #2

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 14, 2014 #3
    But i have 3 concerns:
    1) The above equation should equal to ∇B(x') ∂vt/∂t not to the composite ∇B(x') ° ∂vt/∂t
    2) How (v°∇)B is driven from ∇B(x') ° v?
    3) In wikipedia, it is a dot product (v.∇) B not a composite function (v°∇)B

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  5. Jun 14, 2014 #4
    ∂B`(x`)/∂t = ∂B(x`+vt)/∂t

∂B/∂t= (∂B/∂x).(∂x/∂t) given that x=x`+vt

but ∂x/∂t= v

so ∂B/∂t= (∂B/∂x). v

6. Jun 14, 2014 #5

UltrafastPED

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, a dot not a composition. Couldn't find the dot in the menu. Gotta learn LaTex someday I keep saying to myself!

7. Jun 14, 2014 #6
    Fine, so again how (v.∇) B is reached? it should be v (∇.B). In other words, the only operator that is acting on B should be ∇ not (v.∇).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook