How to Derive the Decay Equation for Radioactive Isotopes A -> B -> C?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of radio-decay and the difficulty in writing the decay equation for B when N2 is no longer N0. The speaker also mentions the need to write out the three equations being solved together in order to move forward in understanding simultaneous or coupled differential equations.
unscientific

Homework Statement

I learned that radio-decay is exponential; say if A decays to B with constant y1 and B decays to C with constant y2 and C is stable, N1 is nuclei in A while N2 is nuclei in B.

N1 = N0e-y1(t)

Homework Equations

Then, I tried writing the decay equation for B, and hit a wall because N2 is no longer N0, as the amount originally is zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

Then i tried to derive it:
Amount = (decayed nuclei from A) + (decay of itself)

N2 = INT A1 dt + INT A2 dt

and I arrive with this crazy integration which I do not know how to solve. Are there any better ways to derive it?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the gentlest introduction to simultaneous or coupled differential equations, of which you will probably get a basinful later.

I think before anyone helps, you must actually write out the (three) equations you are trying to solve together.

But when you have done that you may see yourself how to go further and later lessons will not seem so out of the blue to you.

Last edited:

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atom releases energy and transforms into a more stable atom. This process involves the emission of particles and/or electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does radioactive decay occur?

Radioactive decay occurs when an atom's nucleus has too much energy, making it unstable. To reach a more stable state, the nucleus will emit particles or energy until it reaches a lower energy state.

3. What is the difference between alpha, beta, and gamma decay?

Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle, which is composed of two protons and two neutrons. Beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle, which is either an electron or a positron. Gamma decay involves the emission of a gamma ray, which is a high-energy electromagnetic wave.

4. How is the rate of radioactive decay measured?

The rate of radioactive decay is measured using a unit called half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the original radioactive material to decay. The half-life is a constant for each radioactive element.

5. What are some practical applications of radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay has various practical applications, such as in nuclear power plants, medical imaging and treatment, and carbon dating. It is also used in industrial processes and scientific research, such as in radiometric dating to determine the age of rocks or fossils.