Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to design a boost converter from 5v to 24v

1. Sep 8, 2009 #1
    hello..im final year student..i have some problem that i doesn't know how the first step to design the boost converter circuit which is step up the voltage from 5v reach at 24 volt..anybody can help me..:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. We don't do your projects for you, but can offer help if you have something specific that you don't understand. What learning resources have you used so far? Have you read the pages at wikipedia.org and at the PS IC manufacturers pages? (Maxim, Linear Technology, National Semiconductor)

What specific questions do you have about boost converters? Link to a web page with a schematic, and tell us what you find confusing...

4. Sep 8, 2009 #3
    i already read the passage at wikipedia but im still have no idea to start design the circuit..am i wrong if i used the LT1170 component to step up the voltage until 24v?This information i get from Linear Technologies data sheet.

5. Sep 8, 2009 #4
    There are circuits around that use the ubiquitous NE555 for boost converters. The 555 is a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than the LT1170. You can find some 555 boost converter circuits on the web. The NE555 is a very versatile chip, and has been around since the early 1970's. Learn to use the 555. It will solve a lot of your circuit problems.

6. Sep 9, 2009 #5

berkeman

I haven't seen that before, Bob. Is the feedback bang-bang? The OP probably should be looking at more traditional feedback loops, I would think...?

7. Sep 9, 2009 #6

berkeman

Yeah, the 1170 is a good candidate. What would you look into to make the output voltage 24V instead of the 12V example on the first page of the datasheet? What form of feedback does the 1170 use?

8. Sep 9, 2009 #7
    yes..the data sheet only shown how to increase the output voltage to 12V..i just give the example to know whether LT1170 can be used or not instead to step the voltage into 24V..I'm so confusing right now..please help me..thanks everybody..

9. Sep 9, 2009 #8

berkeman

What learning resources do you have? Please do not consider us a design resource for your school projects. That's not what the PF is about.

I googled boost converter tutorial, and got lots of good hits. Read through some of those, and post a specific question here with a link if you still are having trouble.

http://www.google.com/search?source...4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=boost+converter+tutorial

10. Sep 9, 2009 #9
    From Bob S
    There are circuits around that use the ubiquitous NE555 for boost converters. The 555 is a lot easier to find and a lot cheaper than the LT1170. You can find some 555 boost converter circuits on the web. The NE555 is a very versatile chip, and has been around since the early 1970's. Learn to use the 555. It will solve a lot of your circuit problems.
    I modeled one in SPICE, and it worked OK, but there were some very disturbing overvoltage surges at turn-on. So, back to the LT1170 for now.
    Bob S

11. Sep 9, 2009 #10

berkeman

Bang-bang feedback is okay in many applications. I've used it in Buck topologies before, but I don't know if there are special considerations in Boost topologies.

In any case, the OP should learn all about the traditional topologies and short-cuts to them, and the trade-offs. And report back here!

12. Sep 10, 2009 #11
    I found a LT1170 5-volt-to-12-volt boost circuit in the LTSpice IV folder and tried to get 24 volts out of it by changing the feedback resistors and the inductance, but it would go only to 18 volts. I think the OP should review transformer-coupled flyback designs also. Look in the jigs folder in the examples folder in the LTC program folder for the 1170 boost circuit.

13. Sep 10, 2009 #12

berkeman

Maybe give National Semiconductor's Webench power design tool a try...

http://www.national.com/analog/webench/power [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  14. Sep 10, 2009 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

Perhaps but I doubt this OP is a professional engineer planning to ship quantity 1000 of more units, so the cost of the parts of is trivial, and likely the value of his/her time is not. The LT1170 takes care of everything except the magnetics, caps, and power diode. More importantly, a very common first mistake in designing switchers is to underestimate parasitics when wiring or laying out the components, especially between the power switch and an external controller, so combining the two reduces the chance for a problem there.

15. Sep 10, 2009 #14

mheslep

Gold Member

Flyback rules, boost and buck drools.

16. Sep 10, 2009 #15

berkeman

But when it comes to minimum cost for non-isolated converters.... :smile:

17. Sep 10, 2009 #16

mheslep

Gold Member

18. Sep 10, 2009 #17

mheslep

Gold Member

Yep, minimum cost, most flexibility, least hassle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook