How to determine the angles using geometry (specific example)

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find angles α and β using isosceles triangles, but this only works if there is an equilibrium of forces. The use of similar triangles also does not provide enough information. Other methods, such as using trapeziums, did not work either. One person suggests finding the "heights" of the two triangles and using algebra to solve for the angles. Eventually, the problem is solved by using a Pythagorean theorem and an equation involving the two triangles. The person who asked the initial question considers posting the whole problem on the forum, but it is determined that the physics part is not necessary for understanding the issue.
bolzano95
Homework Statement
The following problem is taken from a physics problem, but I insulated the geometrical part for better understanding.
Relevant Equations
α=?
β=?
I'm trying to find angles α and β.

No additional information except: d, h, a.

attachment.html.jpeg

I already tried to figure it out by using isosceles triangles, but this is only true when there is a equilibrium of forces. I thought there are similar triangles incorporated, but I get too many unknown variables and not enough equations. I also tried using trapeziums but it doesn't pan out.

Maybe I overlooked something? Or is there a possibility that this problem is unsolvable?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is d ?

BvU said:
What is d ?
d= complete length of a rope :smile:

At PF we don't like to give full soluitons, just ask guiding questions and give hints.
I like to think 'if you can draw it, you can calculate it'

Top left triangle is known: you have two sides and an angle (not ##\alpha##). So you have third side. So you have two sides and an angle (not ##\beta##) of the other triangle ... bingo !

bolzano95 said:
but this is only true when there is a equilibrium of forces.

What is the full problem? Why are you assuming there is not equilibrium? This is the reason you should always post the entire problem statement without leaving things out.

Likes BvU
In a math problem there are no forces.
[edit] missed the post that explains d. o:)

Going to bed :sleep:

Seems to me that you have two equations in two unknowns. If you can find the "heights" of the two triangles then you're golden: you'll be able to find the angles given two sides of each triangle.

You know that the sum of the two hypotenuses (hypoteni?) is d. You have a relationship between the height of the smaller triangle and the larger one. Two equations, two unknowns. Sweat the algebra and you should arrive at a result.

BvU said:
Top left triangle is known
Not quite. h is the difference in heights of the two triangles.

@bolzano95 , you can find all the sides of the right hand triangle in terms of a and beta.
Combining these with h and d you can find all the sides of the left hand triangle.
What equations does that give you?

haruspex said:
Not quite. h is the difference in heights of the two triangles.
As I posted, I missed the post that d is the full length of the blue line o:) and thought it was the hypothenusa.

@bolzano95 : I still miss the full physics problem statement. What about the non equilibrium remark ?

Recall your definitions of sin and cos.

Let d1 be the part of d on the left, d2 on the right. So d = d1+d2.

Then what is d1 sin alpha, d1 cos alpha, d2 sin beta, and d2 cos beta? What equations can you write relating these items?

gneill and BvU... I GOT IT! YES!

If I use a pythagorean theorem to express a "height" of the right hand triangle: ##x^2= d^2_2-\frac{1}{4}a^2## and then put it in a equation of the left hand triangle ##(h+x)^2+\frac{1}{4}a^2=d^2_1=(d-d_2)^2## I get ##d_2## and my life is solved! YES!

Orodruin, BvU: I thought about posting the whole problem on the forum, but I was only struggeling with geometric aspect. If you want (and insist :) I can post the whole problem here. But again, in my opinion the physics part is not vital for understanding with what I was having problem with. Let me know about the problem!

Likes gneill

1. How do you find the angles of a triangle using the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. To find the angles of a triangle using this theorem, simply plug in the known side lengths into the equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2 and solve for each angle using inverse trigonometric functions.

2. Can you use the Law of Sines to find angles in a non-right triangle?

Yes, the Law of Sines can be used to find angles in any triangle, regardless of whether it is a right triangle or not. This law states that the ratio of the sine of an angle to the length of its opposite side is the same for all angles in a triangle. Therefore, you can use the law to find the unknown angles by setting up and solving a proportion.

3. How can you use the Law of Cosines to determine angles?

The Law of Cosines can also be used to find angles in a triangle. This law states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, minus twice the product of those two sides and the cosine of the included angle. By rearranging this formula and solving for the unknown angle, you can determine its measure.

4. What is the difference between interior and exterior angles?

Interior angles are the angles inside a polygon, while exterior angles are the angles formed by extending the sides of a polygon. The sum of all interior angles in a polygon is (n-2)180 degrees, where n is the number of sides. The sum of all exterior angles in a polygon is always 360 degrees.

5. Can you find the angles of a quadrilateral using geometry?

Yes, the angles of a quadrilateral can be found using geometry. A quadrilateral has four angles, and the sum of its interior angles is always 360 degrees. You can use this fact along with the properties of parallel lines and transversals to find the measure of each angle in a quadrilateral.