How to determine the direction of current

In summary: Remember that the magnetic field is pointing into the plane of the loop.In summary, a horizontal circular wire loop of radius 0.5 m experiences a change in shape from a circle to a square while remaining in the same plane. This change causes a change in magnetic flux, resulting in an induced emf in the loop. The induced current in the loop, based on Lenz' law, will flow in a direction opposite to the change in flux, which in this case is counter-clockwise when viewed from above. The value of the induced emf can be calculated using V=IR, where V is the induced emf and I is the current in the loop.
Kyle Darden

Homework Statement

A horizontal circular wire loop of radius 0.5 m lies in a plane perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field pointing from above into the plane of the loop, has a magnitude of 0.19 T. If in 0.15 s the wire is reshaped from a circle into a square, but remains in the same plane, what is the magnitude of the average induced emf in the wire during this time? Answer in units of V.

The current in the loop during the deformation:
1. does not arise. 2. flows counter-clockwise when viewed from above. 3. flows in a direction that cannot be determined from given information. 4. flows clockwise when viewed from above.

Homework Equations

Faraday's Law
Lenz' Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I already solved for the first question, I only included it since it is relevant to the next question. After solving for the emf during the reshaping, I'm uncertain of the current. Since V=IR, I am leaning to thinking there is no current since I am not given any thing related to resistance. Also I'm thinking that a current would only arise if the magnetic field is varying. I'm not sure if the change of magnetic flux will induce a current or not. I'm looking in my textbook and reading as well, but I'm not seeing a definitive answer.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
WELCOME TO PF!

Since they don't ask you to determine a numerical value for the current, they haven't bothered to specify the resistance of the loop. But you can assume that the loop does have some resistance R.

V = IR is applicable here, where V is the induced emf.

Likes Kyle Darden
TSny said:
WELCOME TO PF!

Since they don't ask you to determine a numerical value for the current, they haven't bothered to specify the resistance of the loop. But you can assume that the loop does have some resistance R.

V = IR is applicable here, where V is the induced emf.

First, thank you for replying.

Second, would using the right hand rule apply here? I initially thought the current was clockwise because if I wrap my hand in the direction of the current, my thumb would point in the direction of the magnetic field. Since Lenz' law states the induced current is going to oppose the change of flux, the current I thought would be the opposite of this, counter-clock wise.

Am I interpreting the right hand rule in this case?

Yes, the induced current will oppose the change in flux. You need to think carefully about how the flux changed when the wire changed its shape. Did the amount of flux increase or decrease?

Likes Kyle Darden

1. How do I determine the direction of current in a circuit?

The direction of current in a circuit can be determined by using the right-hand rule. This rule states that when you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field created by the current. You can also use a multimeter to determine the direction of current flow.

2. Can the direction of current change in a circuit?

Yes, the direction of current can change in a circuit. This can happen if there is a change in the voltage source or if the circuit contains components that can change the direction of current, such as diodes or transistors.

3. How can I determine the direction of current in a complex circuit?

In a complex circuit, the direction of current may not be obvious. You can use Kirchhoff's circuit laws to determine the direction of current flow. These laws state that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources.

4. Does the direction of current affect the overall function of a circuit?

Yes, the direction of current can affect the overall function of a circuit. In some circuits, the direction of current is important for the proper functioning of components. For example, in a light bulb circuit, the direction of current determines whether the bulb will light up or not.

5. How can I determine the direction of current in a circuit without using a multimeter?

If you do not have a multimeter, you can use a compass to determine the direction of current. Place the compass near the wire carrying the current and note the direction in which the compass needle points. The needle will point in the opposite direction of the current flow.