How to determine the range of sensitivity for a camera sensor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for guidance in choosing a proper sensor for a polarimetric camera project for ocean imaging. The main concern is determining the range of sensitivities for the camera sensor that would best suit the application, as well as finding a set of formulas for the camera's sensitivity based on the environment. There is also a mention of the challenge of handling peak light levels from the surface and reflected sunlight.
Jason E
I am not sure if this is the best place to ask and I will change locations if need be, but I need some guidance on how to choose a proper sensor for my project.

I am currently working as part of a team on a polarimetric camera for ocean imaging. The basic premise is that images, from above the surface of the water, are taken and, with the use of polarizers, information of objects below the surface are obtained.

As of right now I need to determine what range of sensitivities for a camera sensor would best suit this application. What I'm basically looking for are theoretical justifications for determining what type of sensor to use.

I need to find a set of formulas based on the environment that would relate to the camera's sensitivity, so I can go about finding the correct sensor to use. I've already looked through multiple papers but can't seem to find a concrete way to formulate the sets of equations I need. Any help would be appreciatedThank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you are looking for a problem where there is none.
A camera above the surface must image the peak light levels from the surface.
Two cameras, with orthogonal polarisation, will each on average image half the energy.
But because the light may be polarised, each may need to handle the same peak light level.
The problem is going to be reflected sunlight.

1. What is the range of sensitivity for a camera sensor?

The range of sensitivity for a camera sensor refers to the range of light that the sensor can capture and convert into an image. This includes both the minimum and maximum amount of light that the sensor can detect and accurately reproduce in an image.

2. How is the range of sensitivity determined for a camera sensor?

The range of sensitivity for a camera sensor is determined by its ISO setting. This setting controls the sensitivity of the sensor to light, with higher ISOs being more sensitive and lower ISOs being less sensitive. The higher the ISO, the wider the range of sensitivity and the more light the sensor can capture.

3. What is the difference between low and high ISO settings in terms of sensitivity range?

A low ISO setting means that the sensor is less sensitive to light, resulting in a smaller range of sensitivity. This is ideal for well-lit environments, as it produces images with less noise and grain. On the other hand, a high ISO setting means that the sensor is more sensitive to light, resulting in a wider range of sensitivity. This is useful for low-light situations, but can also introduce more noise into the image.

4. How does the size of the camera sensor affect the range of sensitivity?

The size of the camera sensor can greatly impact the range of sensitivity. Generally, larger sensors have a wider range of sensitivity compared to smaller sensors. This is because larger sensors have larger pixels, which can capture more light and have a wider dynamic range. This means that a larger sensor can produce images with better quality and less noise, even at higher ISO settings.

5. Can the range of sensitivity be adjusted or changed on a camera sensor?

Yes, the range of sensitivity can be adjusted on a camera sensor by changing the ISO setting. Most cameras have a range of ISO options, allowing the user to adjust the sensitivity to suit the lighting conditions. However, it is important to note that changing the ISO also affects other aspects of the image, such as shutter speed and aperture, so it is important to consider these settings when adjusting the ISO for the best results.